Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 0 FC after adding so much bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

0 FC after adding so much bleach?

Help! I am fairly new at this. I keep getting a green pool. I keep adding lots of bleach and I keep having lots of problems! Two days ago I tested 0 FC, so I added almost 1000 oz of bleach trying to kill the algae and have a higher FC. Today I tested:

FC 0
    Ph 8.2
    TA 110
    CYA 38

How could I have 0 FC and still have algae after adding so much bleach 2 days ago?????? What do you suggest? I know I am going to add 39oz of muriatic acid to adjust the pH. Is that causing my problem?
    Kacreech
    20,000 (I think)
    sand
    IG
    vinyl
    I don't know filter rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 0 FC after adding so much bleach?

Pool store testing numbers I presume? What does your water look like? Just "hitting it once" with a big dose of bleach doesn't mean much. It could easily be consumed. Shocking is a process to be maintained till done. Back up and read pool school a couple of times for a better understanding of the "process". Your Ph is high, but not the problem-your green algae is.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Think of this as a war on algae, and chlorine is your soldiers, the algae has the advantage that they reproduce very fast. What you did amounted to a D-Day invasion against the fortified position of the algae then you did not send any reinforcements for 2 days, so all your troops were wiped out, taking a lot of algae with them and now you have likely given the algae enough time to rebuild its strength. Now the question is where to go from here, my advice is regroup, read pool school, if you don't have one order a TF-100 test kit (see link in my signature, they are near you so you would likely get it in 1 or 2 days regular mail), go buy more bleach, try not to morn the lost bleach you added already, and follow the shock procedures in pool school. This will mean frequent testing during the first day or two (hourly or so at the start) and continue boosting FC as needed while filtering, brushing, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks so much! The soldier analogy helps. I have and use the test kit. I will read about the shock process again. Your answer was helpful!
    Kacreech
    20,000 (I think)
    sand
    IG
    vinyl
    I don't know filter rate

5. Back To Top    #5

just to share my experience.

when we opened our pool, i poured 2 gallon bottles of 12.5% chlorine in the pool and the FC still read zero. The third gallon brough it up to just register on a test strip, the fourth gallon only brought it up to 5 FC on the test strip The fifth gallon finally got us into shock range, but it didn't stay there very long.

the bleach works, you just have to use enough of it and give it time to work.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, I followed everyone's advice, stuck with the bleach process, followed the instructions on the shock process, and now I have a beautiful pool!!! Thanks everybody!!
    Kacreech
    20,000 (I think)
    sand
    IG
    vinyl
    I don't know filter rate

7. Back To Top    #7