Need some advice

Apr 11, 2013
Sewell, NJ
Ok. So I just moved into my house last year. Ran the pool all summer and it was ok last year. I just opened it up this weekend and seems the pump is dead. I sounds awful and doesn't do anything besides make some noise. Last year the suction sucked (no pun intended). So I had in the back of my mind that I should think about upgrading the filter/pump. In a previous post someone told me that my filter was prob not big enough for the pool. My current filter is a Heyward EC65 with a 1 HP pump hooked up to it. I'm not really sure what to do. Should I look for a better pump (1.5 HP, 2HP?) and keep my current filter? Replace them both? I'm not sure how many gallons my pool is, so i'll post a pic (from before i opened it) and if you can give me an estimate, that would be cool too. Its 8 foot in the deep end and measures 18'x40'

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

[attachment=0:1gyugqv2]photo1.JPG[/attachment:1gyugqv2]

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 55
First off I would suggest a 2 speed 1.5 hp pump, so you can run it on slow and save electricity when just filtering, and on high when you need to vacuum or backwash. As to the EC 75, I think the EC75 and EC65 you have now are the same basic filter (same housing), and the only difference is longer or more filter fingers on the EC75, therefore you may be able to convert your existing EC65 into an EC 75 with the addition of the EC75 fingers and maybe finger holding plate. These EC series filters seem to have a lot more back pressure than most filters so you may want to look at a medium head pump design, I know my current Jandy pump flows much more than the relatively low head Hayward Super Pump I had before even though both are uprated 1.5 hp pumps.

Ike

As mentioned above I find the Jandy Flo Pro has much more flow at higher head backpressure than my previous hayward Super Pumps, the Jandy does have 2 inch only plumbing though, which I had to step down to 1.5 inch for my existing plumbing. As to sources, you can beat Amazon pricing fairly easily, I bought mine a couple of months ago off ebay for $350 delivered and it is the 2 speed 1.5 hp version, Amazon gets $590 for the same pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.