Opening/filling new water questions

May 7, 2013
New Jersey
We have been filling our pool the last few days and its almost full just a few inches to go. I recently ordered the TF100 test kit so we can use the BBB method, but it won't be here until Friday. So my question is shoulder go ahead and turn on the pump and filter this week while waiting for the test kit to get here? Should I put in any bleach to keep the water from turning while we wait? It's still pretty clear, these to end is slightly green, I just don't want a mess before Friday. Thanks!

IG, vinyl, appx. 20k gallons, Hayward sand filter, Hayward pump

but it won't be here until Friday
You must live on the West Coast.

(EDIT) Parroting what woody says below, add 1 small jug of bleach each evening until your kit gets in if you can't measure 3-5 ppm.

Calculate the CYA dose and put it in.

Run your pump and filter 24/7.

If you see green in your pool, you will need to shock but wait 'til the kit gets in

Definitely get enough chlorine in there to get to 3-5 ppm and circulate asap. I'd also put neough CYa in there to take it to 30 ppm to start and it should be pretty well dissolved by Friday. You can always have a pool store test your fill water for PH levels.........ONLY!.........till then and get it adjusted in range if needed.

Can I ask one more question? Our filter and pump are new this year, my husband finished hooking everything up yesterday ( we got them on Craigslist, they are a few years old). Do we need to run the filter on backwash first? Thanks again :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.