Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there such a thing as pure chlorine pucks?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there such a thing as pure chlorine pucks?

Asking because I have a couple of long vacations this summer and pre-planning ( live in country and no one to dose pool while I'm gone). Would rather not use the pucks with fillers if I don't have to. I see Sam's Club has some th at are 95% I believe but I don't need a 50# tub. Thanks!
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there such a thing as pure chlorine pucks?

The active ingredient should be listed on the label. Walmart sells pucks with copper - just make sure that the ones at Sams are not the same (since Sams/Walmart are connected...)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Most I've looked at all have added cya, trying to not use those if I don't have to.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh there are only Cal-hypo tablets with no CYA they can be messy to use they dissolve into a gooey mess. You can't use in trichlor tablet feeders or floaters that previously have trichlor in them.
    Like these:
    http://www.allaboutspas.net/Chlorina...shoppingengine
    I have not ordered from this shipper this is just an example of the brand I have purchased for a client.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Oh there are only Cal-hypo tablets with no CYA they can be messy to use they dissolve into a gooey mess. You can't use in trichlor tablet feeders or floaters that previously have trichlor in them.
    Like these:
    http://www.allaboutspas.net/Chlorina...shoppingengine
    I have not ordered from this shipper this is just an example of the brand I have purchased for a client.
    Thanks! I don't use either, just skimmer basket, so may just be what I'm looking for while on vacation!

6. Back To Top    #6

The answer, unfortunately is no (this first person to come up with such a puck will be a millionaire just by selling them here!).

Chlorine needs to be stabilized or it falls apart on a molecular level, hence the CYA, calcium, or salt to keep it "fresh" until it hits your pool.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by redhdgirl417
    Thanks! I don't use either, just skimmer basket, so may just be what I'm looking for while on vacation!
    If I could make a suggestion, you would be better served going to Wal-Mart or some place similar and get yourself a floater. Placing tablets in the skimmer basket creates a very harsh chemical environment in the basket when the pump is off. This can cause corrosion and also cause fairly rapid degradation of the PVC surfaces in the skimmer.

Leslie's Pools Store does sell trichlor tablets that are free of metals (copper). As far as tablets go, their product is good.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski
    The answer, unfortunately is no (this first person to come up with such a puck will be a millionaire just by selling them here!).

Chlorine needs to be stabilized or it falls apart on a molecular level, hence the CYA, calcium, or salt to keep it "fresh" until it hits your pool.
    Very true!!!!! I figured they had to have something added to them so they didn't fall apart, but looking for some with the most chlorine build as possible. Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Quote Originally Posted by redhdgirl417
    If I could make a suggestion, you would be better served going to Wal-Mart or some place similar and get yourself a floater. Placing tablets in the skimmer basket creates a very harsh chemical environment in the basket when the pump is off. This can cause corrosion and also cause fairly rapid degradation of the PVC surfaces in the skimmer.

Leslie's Pools Store does sell trichlor tablets that are free of metals (copper). As far as tablets go, their product is good.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm in Michigan, not sure there are any Leslie's in the state, will have to do a search. I guess if I plan and keep by cya around the 30 mark I could get away with using the pucks for a week in a floater while I'm gone. This will be my first summer going BBB (just got pool last year and pool store chems along with schedule came with pool) and of course 2 big vacations this summer to pre-plan for. I always keep the solar cover on pool when no one in it, so could I just dose pool up to the shock level instead?

LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Here at TFP, we encourage people to read the ingredients on the label. If you pick up some tablets, look at the ingredients and if you see copper or calcium on there, keep looking.

Depends on how long you are leaving for. If you're going for a week or less, then bump the FC up enough to get through that amount of time and enjoy your trip. More than a week, well, you'll probably be better served using a floater AND bumping the FC up too. You also will need someone to peek in on things to make sure that there are no other problems while you're gone.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Here at TFP, we encourage people to read the ingredients on the label. If you pick up some tablets, look at the ingredients and if you see copper or calcium on there, keep looking.

Depends on how long you are leaving for. If you're going for a week or less, then bump the FC up enough to get through that amount of time and enjoy your trip. More than a week, well, you'll probably be better served using a floater AND bumping the FC up too. You also will need someone to peek in on things to make sure that there are no other problems while you're gone.
    Thank you so much for the advice...I do have a neighbor that knows nothing about pools but will let me know if the power goes out and such via text. Going to have hubs install a timer for the pump so not running 24/7 as well.

I'm feeling more confident now, thanks again!

12. Back To Top    #12

Don't leave a floater in a liner pool while you are away. It may float to a corner or the steps and bleach them. I learned this first hand unfortunately.

13. Back To Top    #13

At one time I would just put a floater in if I was gone for a week or so. Once you really get a feel for the pool, your neighbor might could put it in. I know with full sun last year I would drop about 1.5ppm a day. I would have a jug measured out and a label for the neighbor when they came to feed the dogs.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

14. Back To Top    #14

I don't have any pets to feed. Lol

15. Back To Top    #15

why is calcium a big deal? I thought Cal-Hypo was sort of on the approved list here.

I've never used it, just curious to see some people say to pass it if they have the chance.
    15000 Gal Pool + Spa - Twin 2hp Pentair Pumps - DE Filter - 400kbtu Heater - Jandy wireless control system with freeze out - Polaris 3900 pressure side cleaner

16. Back To Top    #16

High CH levels can cause calcium scaling, which is very difficult to remove and often rather unsightly and abrasive. If you are frequently needing to add calcium manually, cal-hypo can be a good deal, but you don't want to raise CH too much.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    High CH levels can cause calcium scaling, which is very difficult to remove and often rather unsightly and abrasive. If you are frequently needing to add calcium manually, cal-hypo can be a good deal, but you don't want to raise CH too much.
    Gotcha, that was what I figured.
    15000 Gal Pool + Spa - Twin 2hp Pentair Pumps - DE Filter - 400kbtu Heater - Jandy wireless control system with freeze out - Polaris 3900 pressure side cleaner

18. Back To Top    #18

Maybe tie a weight to the floater .....Or old school clothesline idea so you can retrieve to refill then relocate to center
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by 88mmm
    Don't leave a floater in a liner pool while you are away. It may float to a corner or the steps and bleach them. I learned this first hand unfortunately.
    Welcome to TFP!

Yes, Trichlor pucks in a floating feeder put out chlorine and CYA and lower the pH substantially if there is not circulation. When I first got my pool 10 years ago, I put Trichlor pucks in a floating feeder and it parked itself near some stainless steel underwater bars and the two mounts closest to the feeder rusted.

So if a floating feeder is used, one can tether it so that it stays away from the sides and closer to the middle of the pool. As you've noted, acid is bad for liners -- even worse than concentrated chlorine and the combination of acid and chlorine is particularly harsh.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"