4 hard days...worth it.

Mr. Blue

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2013
Spring, TX (Houston)
Hey everyone,

I recently took on the task of turning my mother-in-laws swamp into a pool and thought I would share. Stabilizer, algicide, acid, shock, shock, shock, shock, and removing the ridiculous piles of algae was the key. I ended up filling about 6 large contractors bags full of algae in the process.

I lurked here for a few days, and learned a lot from the threads I read through.
Cleaned the filter before and after, and was backwashing about every 6 hours.

Now to start on the landscaping and rest of the backyard. :)
Thanks for the help!

CsSzkI7.jpg

Mr. Blue:

Great job :goodjob: What a turnaround in a short time.

Stabilizer, algicide,...
Going forward, I would use only liquid bleach as the chlorine source and dose according the the Chlorine/CYA chart (see link in my sig). That alone will prevent another algae infestation. Algaecides are completely unnecessary and some (in particular the copper-based algaecides) can do more harm than good with prolonged use by causing metal staining.

BoDarville said:
Mr. Blue:

Great job :goodjob: What a turnaround in a short time.

Stabilizer, algicide,...
Going forward, I would use only liquid bleach as the chlorine source and dose according the the Chlorine/CYA chart (see link in my sig). That alone will prevent another algae infestation. Algaecides are completely unnecessary and some (in particular the copper-based algaecides) can do more harm than good with prolonged use by causing metal staining.
Thanks!

Yeah, I've been looking into the BBB method. I have little experience with pools (until now), so I had to rely on my local pool store for help with this task.
At the moment, the only thing in the pool (chemical wise) is the chlorine floater. I tested the water last night (and took it to the pool store for a second opinion) and all the levels are good now.

Now I just need the water to warm up a bit! :lol:

Started taking the ugly rocks off today. Here's an updated photo.

[attachment=0:pjoels3y]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370105935.866253.jpg[/attachment:pjoels3y]

Next, we're going to retile the top 9 inches inside the pool and figure out what we want to do with the trim around the pool.

I'll keep updating with photos. :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370105935.866253.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370105935.866253.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,619
Thanks!

We got the gross mustard colored tiles off. Now getting ready to retile.

[attachment=0:1u1p8jtt]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370126999.088872.jpg[/attachment:1u1p8jtt]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370126999.088872.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370126999.088872.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,584
Now- now seeing on a bigger screen- that is truly impressive! And a lovely shaped pool by the way. I do love the "lagoon" style pools. I guess they are more expensive to design or install? But I know a lot of the big rectangles like mine were built 30 years ago.

Beautiful job!

Bernie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So glad to see those rocks removed! It looks so much better without them! :goodjob:

Update.

Got the new "tile" in over the weekend. Had a little trouble cutting the glass, but it's ok for now. We also filled in some of the cracked concrete.

Next, we will lay travertine around the edge. That is the plan, anyway. Also looking into a spray deck...so we may even out the glass and go all the way to the pool. Still exploring options there.

[attachment=1:1mand6mn]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371472662.075411.jpg[/attachment:1mand6mn]
[attachment=0:1mand6mn]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371472677.859338.jpg[/attachment:1mand6mn]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371472662.075411.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371472662.075411.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,172
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371472677.859338.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371472677.859338.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,172
I love the tile you chose for the waterline! Are you a DIY-er or professional tile person? I've been wondering about re-doing our waterline tile ourselves and having someone come replaster our pool for us, but haven't gotten the guts worked up for it yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.