discrepant chlorine tests

Apr 16, 2012
Good morning. My pool is now open for the season 10 days. The water looks perfectly clear (but is still 65 degrees). Free chlorine test yielded 6 ppm with 0 cc's, but when I use the OTO test it registers no chlorine level. The ph is 7.6 , cya level mid thirties. Pool is 18,000gallon plaster. I'm using combination TCA and bleach for chlorination. Any ideas ?
Thanks,
Ann

TCA?

The OTO test is a much more reliable indicator of chlorine/no chlorine than any of the other tests, all of which can be affected by other chemicals on occasion.

Which test did you use to measure FC 6 CC 0?

I had this same problem last week. Since it was the middle of the week and not my complete testing day (Monday), I didn't use the DPD to backup my OTO test results. This caused me to basically shock the pool to 12ppm, before I verified that I had too high of chlorine.

In the end, I never really figured out what the issues were, although I did clean the OTO test comparator with dish soap right before I got better readings with it.

The moral of the story... trust your gut.. if the chlorine test seems too high or low, use the DPD to confirm.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/confused-with-chlorine-test-results-oto-vs-dpd-t58947.html

Thanks everyone for your input. I just confirmed I was using the 0600 and it is absolutely colorless. It was registering chlorine levels when I used it a few days ago, but not as dark yellow as I should have seen with the level of free chlorine I was measuring using the dpd/0871 test which at the time was 6.5. Any ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
houdini1 said:
There was the palest shade of yellow, so I would call it a .5, if that's considered any chlorine

When I was getting false readings... that is exactly what I had... I estimated it at 0.5ppm. Since we had a little rain and it had been hot, I figured the Chlorine was that low, so I added some Chlorine. Next day I ran the test again with the same result... So I added some more Chlorine. Right as I put the last drop in the pool, I thought I should do a DPD test. Wow.. the results were at 12ppm..

As a rule, it is a good working plan to test with the OTO test for the presence of chlorine....I would not use it for dosage.

If the OTO results are strange, do the FAS/DPD test to confirm your exact FC level and then dose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.