Cracks in pool coping

npkr

Feb 9, 2013
Hello,

My pool was finished last July and the paver patio will be finished any day now. Before patio construction began my hardscape contractor pointed out that the pool coping, installed by my pool builder last summer, had cracks in a few mortar joints. These are essentially hairline cracks but contractor was concerned that water would get into cracks and they would become wider over time with freeze/thaw as I live in Northeast. I have a pool with roman ends and the cracks occurred at two separate corners of the pool. In addition to the cracks in the mortar joints, there are also small cracks under the coping bricks at the joint between the waterline tile and overlying coping and only in these same locations- at the two corners of the pool.

I called the coping installer and he came over and repaired the mortar joints. However, some of the cracks have now reappeared about two weeks later in the same mortar joints.

Should I be concerned? What should I have the coping installer do? What is the proper way for him to repair this so that cracks don't reform? I don't want the coping to pop up from water seeping between and under the coping when it freezes. :(

Thank you

A picture would help. Guessing a bit, I think they should be sealed with polyurethane caulk.

It will be almost impossible to hide the poly caulk but it should seal the crack.

What did the installer use when he "repaired" them and they recracked?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.