Just removed cover - Filter or bypass to pool?

May 7, 2012
Southern Illinois
We just took the cover off the pool today. Water is clear but we have some algae at the bottom and a lil debris that fell in from the cover :? .

I have already started shocking tonight but I haven't attempted vacuuming yet. Water is very very cold still. So anyway I set the filter to bypass to pool for now just so I can get my chlorine circulating.... Should I go ahead and set to filter? Or wait until after I have tried to vacuum the floor? Do I need to bypass to waste when I vacuum? Or does it really matter?

Welcome to TFP!

Scoop out as much solid debris as you can. Then, start the pump and circulate the water. You can filter as soon as the solid stuff is dealt with for the most part. Read Pool School and get you a service type test kit. The test kit is the MOST IMPORTANT THING you can have other than water. You cannot get a test kit like the ones we recommend in a pool store. You must order it off the internet and tftestkits.net is the cheapest and has the best service and fastest shipping. The TF-100 is the best.

See the following stickies...
pool-school/shocking_your_pool
turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.