I'm new to the board, have basically just been reading and learning, but now I have a couple of questions to see if I'm on the right path.
1) I've used an online calculator to try and figure the volume of the pool (see signature). It's 18x36', 3.5' shallow end, 8' deep end. Do I have the amount about right? 27k gal
2) I found something one time to calculate how much each bottle of bleach added for your ppm chlorine. I currently use Walmart brand bleach, 121 fl oz at 8.25% (I think it use to be 6%, but now it says "33% more concentrated). What's the formula for calculating how much chlorine you're adding?
3) My main steps get a constant build up of debrie(sp?), I don't have a return at the steps so it just seems like a great place for things to collect. Is there a way to help prevent this? Seems like the only way is to brush the steps daily. My pool growing up had 1-2 returns at the steps and it seemed like that kept them clean.
4) I just purchased "The Pool Cleaner" w/ a dedicated return for it (4-wheel side pressure). Does it hurt to leave it in all the time? During shocking, etc? I've read you should take it out, but then I've also read it probably isn't hurting it since the chlorine levels aren't staying up for very long. On a side note, so far I'm loving this thing. Previously I had the Polaris 280 (I think) and it just wasn't very reliable. So I'm hoping this one is an upgrade. I've read great things about it.
5) I feel like leaves and other things occassionally clog up my drain in the deep end. Can I unscrew it, take it off to clear out, and put it back down? I have a vinyl liner and I'm just worried it might mess up the liner if I do.
6) My pool is 6 years old. On the sides of the shallow end, it seems like the vinyl is fading significantly. Is this normal? Or could something be causing it?
7) My steps in the deep end are stuck. I've removed the bolts, sprayed WD-40 around the housing, gently tapped with a mallet, and I still can't get them up. Any suggestions? I thought about calling the people that installed the pool to see if they could get them out, but I'd have to pay to do that and would rather not.
8) I read about algae buildup, and if you're having a problem you may need to take out the light, make sure it's clean, etc. Do you just unscrew it and pull it out to brush off / wipe off?
9) My diving board occassionaly will get black stains on top, probably from rain, leaves, etc that might get on there. I'll usually just poor some bleach on it and let the sun clean it. Is that hurting it? I've only had to do it 2 times so far.
Thanks in advance everyone! Really have enjoyed and learned a lot about pool care.
MOD EDIT: split from: http://www.troublefreepool.com/bbb-f...ers-t5208.html to give the post more attention. moderator linen