Am I losing chlorine from bubbles reaching surface?

jimhokie

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2013
Yorktown, VA
I recently replaced my single speed motor with a 2-speed and wired the SWG to produce only on low speed. Previously with the single speed motor, I would see very small bubbles coming out of the returns when the SWG was producing, and always wondered if I am losing chlorine from any bubbles that make it to the surface (and thus also losing salt because the chlorine that escapes does not recombine into salt). Now, with the SWG only producing at the pump low speed, I see much larger bubbles at the returns just sort of dribbling out of the return fitting, and a larger majority of these bubbles reaching the surface. Is this normal on a low pump speed? If so, aren't I losing chlorine and salt this way? (I did check to be sure the bubbles weren't air being drawn in from a suction line leak--the bubbles only appear when the SWG is producing.)

I've never used an eyeball return fitting (I already have long pipe runs and wanted to minimize pressure loss), but wonder if this would be a good idea to help dissolve the chlorine gas given the higher flow velocity at the return.

Any thoughts?

Jim

OK, that would explain why I could not detect any chlorine odor at the surface as I expected thinking it was chlorine gas. But then is it normal to see hydrogen bubbles? I didn't find any mention of bubbles from a SWG. If this is hydrogen, I can make a mini-Hindenberg by collecting these bubbles for just a few days...it really seems like a lot of bubbles.

thanks for asking the question, i was about to look it up and found the answer.
new to pool and generator I believe was not used in years.
mine only bubbles when the generator is on.
thanks linen, jim and james...

funny after re-reading the post too bad you could not collect the hydrogen and run a
fuel cell generator....in your next car.

Linen, no, the bubbles only are present when the SWG is actively operating, so I don't think I have a suction side leak.

eaamon...about collecting the hydrogen, I actually did think about how to capture some to inflate a plastic bag to make a mini-Hindenberg!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.