Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: swg and salt levels

1. Back To Top    #1

swg and salt levels

I am reading a post from an oldtimer in Australia about increasing the ppm of salt over Manufacurer recommendations by 2000 ppm to extend the life of the SWG cell.

any evidence that this is harmful/helpful?

16,500 gal 3m quartz plaster, infloor cleaning system, 1 hp hayward, northstar pump for cleaning system and 1 hp hayward, northstar pump for water feature. 700 sq. ft. cart. filter with 150 gal per min. flow rate. Hayward mdl. C7020STA

2. Back To Top    #2

Sahuarita, AZ
    I've never heard anything like that before... I wouldn't recommend trying it though. At ~3000ppm which is a common recommendation many people can't taste the salt... at 5000ppm I think it would taste very salty and would likely increase the corrosive aspects as well. Isn't sea water ~6000ppm?
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3

Alamo, CA
    I think having too much salt increases the conductivity of the water too much and the SWG may shut down to protect itself from over-current. Mine has shut down with a light indicating too much salt when I added some salt to the pool and it hadn't mixed in, yet.

I don't know for sure, but I think the oceans are higher than 10,000 ppm salt.

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD
    Some SWGs have an upper salt limit and some don't. For example, the AutoPilot units are fine up to higher than ocean water levels. Ocean water is around 35,000 ppm salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ft Lauderdale, Florida
    Running your salt system to the upper limits of the recommended salt range will slightly increase cell life, but not significant to claim any great increases in cell life.
    It will allow your power supply to run cooler.

Each manufacturer has their own limits. Most have a high salt limit to protect the power supply from damage.

Increasing the salt level also will NOT increase chlorine production.

Ocean water is about 25K - 40K, depending on geographical location. Most oceans are about 35,000 ppm.

Salt Levels maintained at greater than 6,000 ppm can be corrosive to stainless steel fixtures in contact with the water. i.e. handrails, ladders, light rings, etc.
    You willl definately be able to taste the saltiness at that point too.
    Sean Assam -
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators