Does this sound right?

RH60

Jul 12, 2012
Richmond, Va.
Just trying to understand pumps.
18 ft AG pool. For about 15 years always had a 1 hp pump that came with a Jacuzzi filter. Then switched to a ¾ hp super pump. Really liked the strainer basket and the extra power when I vacuumed. But super pump only last 3 years.
So recently got the 2 speed 1 hp Hayward matrix pump. Running on ½ hp for filter then 1 hp when I vacuum.
But I notice I always have air in the pump cover. Always before this meant I had an air leak. Replaced suction hose and notice it goes away on high speed after about 30 minutes.
One thing miss with the flat cover of the super pump is you could let out the air and within minutes could tell if the air went away or had a problem. With the matrix pump it has a dome shape cover so can’t loosen and let out all the air so have to check it later after running awhile.

Anyway I think its normal to have air on ½ hp speed, is this correct?
It just is not powerful enough to pull the air out of the basket after the cover has been off to clean the basket. Also I can actually take the cover off the basket with the pump running on ½ hp and don’t lose any water. I could never dream of doing this before with ¾ or 1 hp pumps.

About 3 weeks now and it does seem to be keeping the pool fairly clean and know it saving on electric bill. Just a guess but may have to vacuum a little more often. The much stronger return stream did create more of a whirlpool effect and clean the bottom a little better. Just had to net out the small pile in the very center of pool every few days and vacuum one a month.

Do you think everything sounds normal?
Thanks for any input.

Jacuzzi MFM17 and takes 100 lbs sand. Is 1.6 filter area sq.ft. and 30 gpm flow rate per sq. ft.

Attachments

• P1020626.JPG
    P1020626.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 62
An AG pool can only get air in the pump basket by sucking it in on the suction side of your system. I understand your Hi-low question but it really doesn't matter....you still have the air leak.

I suspect that on high, the suction side produces enough vacuum to close off the leak source but on low, the leak source opens back up.

That would make me look for a soft seal like an O-ring that can expand and contract a bit.

duraleigh said:
An AG pool can only get air in the pump basket by sucking it in on the suction side of your system. I understand your Hi-low question but it really doesn't matter....you still have the air leak.

I suspect that on high, the suction side produces enough vacuum to close off the leak source but on low, the leak source opens back up.

That would make me look for a soft seal like an O-ring that can expand and contract a bit.

Thanks
I did delete the valve and now just have hose directly to the pump. Ran on high for about 15 minutes and the air went away. Turn to low speed and its been couple hours and much better. It only has a small air bubble about the size of a green pea instead of before it was about 40 times that.

New pump but maybe I should try a new oring or do you think this is OK?

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.