PSI for Hayward DE6020 Filter

May 6, 2013
This is my first season with a pool and I'm trying to do as much myself as possible.

I've backwashed/rinsed the filter and while it's running in backwash mode I get about 10PSI. If I set it to filter, even with no DE in it, I get about 25 PSI. I loaded in the DE and it's still reading around 25PSI.

Is this normal operating pressure for one of these filters? I'm just looking for some general guidance about where they should run.

Jason

I'll need to check the recirculate pressure tomorrow.

The filter calls for 7.5lbs of DE. I back washed and added 6lbs of power (80%). I don't know old the grids are and/or when the last time they were cleaned.

I moved into the house in September...I think the pool was built in 1996 or so. I really have no idea when the filter had its last full cleaning.

Am I right to be concerne about 25psi as a normal operating pressure?

It seems at the high end to me, but there should be a difference between no DE and the addition of 6 lbs. You should see something. To me that says there is something with the filter/grids. Since you don't know when they were done, it would be a simple test to see if it changes anything. Don't be intimidated - just follow the steps, take pics as you disassemble for reference for reassemble, soak them, clean them off and reassemble. Then note your "clean" PSI.

duraleigh, the PSI in recirculate is zero (so the gauge isn't stuck or anything like that).

If I change it to rinse the PSI reads about 12.

Does the 12 PSI in rinse mode give any additional information? At this point I think I'm going to do the full cleaning. Need to buy a torque wrench...

Jason

Well, I wrote early this AM but must've forgotten to post it. Yes, I wanted your psi to go to zero in recirc. That shows gauge is working and there is no obstruction in the piping. I am pretty well convinced your filter is the culprit.....it is badly clogged.

Open it up and clean it thoroughly, recharge with DE and I think you'll see a psi somewhere around 12-16 psi...perfectly normal

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did the full clean out about an hour ago. Everything went fine. I ran it without any DE until it filled up with water (so water was draining out the value). The PSI is still reading 25...

Could it be that 25 is just the normal operating pressure? Any other thoughts on this one before I reload the DE and consider 25 to be normal?

Could it be that 25 is just the normal operating pressure
Sure, but that seems a bit unusual since your backwash psi is 10. What in your system (in filter position) is adding resistance (a lot) that is bypassed when you backwash?

What does the flow into the pool from your returns feel like? Good? fair?

I'll get the exact info on the components tomorrow.

It's an in ground pool, not a liner (I guess plaster)? 27,000 gallons with a spa. Two skimmers. The water comes back in via a couple jets in the pool and a bunch in the spa (which has a little waterfall setup back into the pool).

Here's what the hardware looks like:

2yoy3qx.jpg

I think I add a bunch of stuff when going from backwash to filter (the heater, some amount for the chlorine feeder (I'm going to shut it down eventually), some amount for the polaris pump (another issue I'm having)).

Just got back from a shopping trip to take care of this and some other issues I'm having. I just want to confirm something...

The instructions for cleaning the filter specify a 10:1 mixture of muriatic acid. I just want to confirm this is right. On the bottle is says mix 1 pint per gallon (8:1) for etching concrete. This is the 31.5% concentration acid. 10:1 just seems high if 8:1 will etch concrete. Can you confirm that's correct and it won't damage the filter or any parts on it?

The point of the acid is to dissolve any calcium on the grid, just like it does for concrete.

Did you do the soap soak already?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jayatpitt said:
Just got back from a shopping trip to take care of this and some other issues I'm having. I just want to confirm something...

The instructions for cleaning the filter specify a 10:1 mixture of muriatic acid. I just want to confirm this is right. On the bottle is says mix 1 pint per gallon (8:1) for etching concrete. This is the 31.5% concentration acid. 10:1 just seems high if 8:1 will etch concrete. Can you confirm that's correct and it won't damage the filter or any parts on it?
1:8 for concrete is 1/8. The filter calls for 1/10 acid, which is weaker. Besides, the acid doesn't affect the plastic much anyway. They ship it in plastic bottles!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.