Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSI for Hayward DE6020 Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

PSI for Hayward DE6020 Filter

This is my first season with a pool and I'm trying to do as much myself as possible.

I've backwashed/rinsed the filter and while it's running in backwash mode I get about 10PSI. If I set it to filter, even with no DE in it, I get about 25 PSI. I loaded in the DE and it's still reading around 25PSI.

Is this normal operating pressure for one of these filters? I'm just looking for some general guidance about where they should run.

Jason
    Jason

30k IG plaster pool w/attached spa, Hayward Old school Jacuzzi Magnum Force 2HP single speed pump w/AO Smith motor (UST1202), Hayward 6020 DE filter, Poolskim, Polaris 380, Raypak natural gas heater, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: PSI for Hayward DE6020 Filter

Do you have a "recirculate" or "bypass" mode? If so, what is psi in that position?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you putting the correct amount of DE in? How old are the grids and when is the last time they were cleaned?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll need to check the recirculate pressure tomorrow.

The filter calls for 7.5lbs of DE. I back washed and added 6lbs of power (80%). I don't know old the grids are and/or when the last time they were cleaned.
    Jason

30k IG plaster pool w/attached spa, Hayward Old school Jacuzzi Magnum Force 2HP single speed pump w/AO Smith motor (UST1202), Hayward 6020 DE filter, Poolskim, Polaris 380, Raypak natural gas heater, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

How long have you had the pool? I would suggest breaking the filter down, cleaning the grids and doing a complete re-start and see if that changes the psi.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/use-a...ers-t4086.html
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6

I moved into the house in September...I think the pool was built in 1996 or so. I really have no idea when the filter had its last full cleaning.

Am I right to be concerne about 25psi as a normal operating pressure?
    Jason

7. Back To Top    #7

It seems at the high end to me, but there should be a difference between no DE and the addition of 6 lbs. You should see something. To me that says there is something with the filter/grids. Since you don't know when they were done, it would be a simple test to see if it changes anything. Don't be intimidated - just follow the steps, take pics as you disassemble for reference for reassemble, soak them, clean them off and reassemble. Then note your "clean" PSI.

8. Back To Top    #8

duraleigh, the PSI in recirculate is zero (so the gauge isn't stuck or anything like that).

If I change it to rinse the PSI reads about 12.

Does the 12 PSI in rinse mode give any additional information? At this point I think I'm going to do the full cleaning. Need to buy a torque wrench...

Jason
    Jason

9. Back To Top    #9

I believe it should be 0 on recirculate because you are bypassing the filter entirely. Rinse at 12 makes sense. Definitely clean it. Keep us posted.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Well, I wrote early this AM but must've forgotten to post it. Yes, I wanted your psi to go to zero in recirc. That shows gauge is working and there is no obstruction in the piping. I am pretty well convinced your filter is the culprit.....it is badly clogged.

Open it up and clean it thoroughly, recharge with DE and I think you'll see a psi somewhere around 12-16 psi...perfectly normal
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks guys. I'll pick up a torque wrench and get the thing cleaned out in the next few days and post back with my results.

Jason
    Jason

12. Back To Top    #12

Did the full clean out about an hour ago. Everything went fine. I ran it without any DE until it filled up with water (so water was draining out the value). The PSI is still reading 25...

Could it be that 25 is just the normal operating pressure? Any other thoughts on this one before I reload the DE and consider 25 to be normal?
    Jason

13. Back To Top    #13

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

It could be normal if you have a larger pump and/or a high loss system (floor pop-ups, small plumbing, heaters, etc)

You should really do a full soap and then acid soaking of the grids since you do not know the history:
    use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Could it be that 25 is just the normal operating pressure
    Sure, but that seems a bit unusual since your backwash psi is 10. What in your system (in filter position) is adding resistance (a lot) that is bypassed when you backwash?

What does the flow into the pool from your returns feel like? Good? fair?
    Dave S.

15. Back To Top    #15

Just for general information, my 4820 runs about 13 when returning to pool and spa, 16 when it's pool only. The spa is about 5 feet away, the closest return is maybe 30 feet away.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

I'll get the exact info on the components tomorrow.

It's an in ground pool, not a liner (I guess plaster)? 27,000 gallons with a spa. Two skimmers. The water comes back in via a couple jets in the pool and a bunch in the spa (which has a little waterfall setup back into the pool).

Here's what the hardware looks like:

I think I add a bunch of stuff when going from backwash to filter (the heater, some amount for the chlorine feeder (I'm going to shut it down eventually), some amount for the polaris pump (another issue I'm having)).
    Jason

17. Back To Top    #17

Just got back from a shopping trip to take care of this and some other issues I'm having. I just want to confirm something...

The instructions for cleaning the filter specify a 10:1 mixture of muriatic acid. I just want to confirm this is right. On the bottle is says mix 1 pint per gallon (8:1) for etching concrete. This is the 31.5% concentration acid. 10:1 just seems high if 8:1 will etch concrete. Can you confirm that's correct and it won't damage the filter or any parts on it?
    Jason

18. Back To Top    #18

The point of the acid is to dissolve any calcium on the grid, just like it does for concrete.

Did you do the soap soak already?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

Not yet, but I got that stuff too. I'm going to do all of it tomorrow. I'll post back with the results.
    Jason

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jayatpitt
    Just got back from a shopping trip to take care of this and some other issues I'm having. I just want to confirm something...

The instructions for cleaning the filter specify a 10:1 mixture of muriatic acid. I just want to confirm this is right. On the bottle is says mix 1 pint per gallon (8:1) for etching concrete. This is the 31.5% concentration acid. 10:1 just seems high if 8:1 will etch concrete. Can you confirm that's correct and it won't damage the filter or any parts on it?
    1:8 for concrete is 1/8. The filter calls for 1/10 acid, which is weaker. Besides, the acid doesn't affect the plastic much anyway. They ship it in plastic bottles!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast