Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hot / cold do you like your pool water?

1. Back To Top    #1

How hot / cold do you like your pool water?

Here is a pool preference question for you: What is your ideal water temperature range?

For me it somewhat depends on ambient air temperature, if there is a breeze and what I am doing in the water

Assuming warm air and not much breeze I would say water at 78-80 for active swimming and 80-83 for lounging, maybe a little higher if swimming at night

How about you what do you think is ideal?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How hot / cold do you like your pool water?

85 for me. I'll get in at 80 but I'm not really happy.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

88 but I rarely get it that warm. My kids all say its too hot. I'm trying real hard to get a hot tub but no luck yet! Maybe next Mother's Day...
    24,000 20x42 double roman end in ground pool being built. Start date june13, 2012.
    Finished July 4th, 2012, sports pool, vinyl,SWG, DE filter, fountains. Heat pump,
    First Pool Ever!

4. Back To Top    #4

83 and sunshine is about my minimum comfort level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

80 to cool down on a hot day. and it isn't bad when temps are about 75 around dusk. 85 is best all around for me.
    ~31k gallon 18x36 IG, Vinyl LoopLoc Sahara, Hayward C-750 75sq' Cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS3050, SGS Breeze760 SWG, Homemade Aerators, SmartPool Nitro 52 Wall Climber, TFT100 XL, Borates, and a partridge in a pear tree :)

6. Back To Top    #6

80 on a hot summer day or 90 for a cool summer night. Average 85.
    30' Diameter Above Ground Pool, 20,100 gallon,
    Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I've been gazing at my sparkling clear pool for 2 weeks carefully watching the temp creep up. Yesterday, I took the plunge. Water temp was 70. I jumped out as quickly as I went in and plunged myself into the hot tub. First dip of the season though! brrr
    St. Louis, MO
    33K gal, IG vinyl, 2.2 SFHP WhisperFlo pump, Tagelus 325# TA-60D 3.1 sqft sand filter (24.5" diameter), MiniMax Plus 400M heater, TigerShark robot

8. Back To Top    #8

Follow up question to the original...

Do you keep your heater set at your preferred temperature, keeping it that temperature 24/7?

or do you turn the heater off sometimes? What's your logic?
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would say that about 77 is bare minimum for me.

10. Back To Top    #10

86. 92-94 at night. ON a really hot day (90+) sometimes 86 is too hot but by then it's too late cuz my heater is set to kick in at 86. lol
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

We warmed up to a water temp of 78 today.....I still didn't find it comfortable with outside temps around 78. I haven't had my pool for 2years yet and found myself wanting to "cool" the pool as we approached 90 degrees last summer. I'm thinking I like about 80 to 82 to be happy. BTW the pool went from 76 to 78 today and I noticed the difference.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

12. Back To Top    #12

I only have solar heat, so my ability to heat / cool is limited, but at least it does not cost a lot to operate
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

Outside temp was 102 today..... Pool was perfect at 82. This was in the out skirts of LA County. Its almost 10pm and still over 80.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang
    Outside temp was 102 today..... Pool was perfect at 82. This was in the out skirts of LA County. Its almost 10pm and still over 80.
    I would be satisfied with this.

I'm thinking on a day like today being upper 80s and sunny that if the water was 80 or above I would get in long enough to put the steps in and weight them down.

During the swim season we tend to prefer 87-88 unless it's sunny and in the upper 90s or there isn't any breeze. In which case 85 is fine.

On second thought if the temp is above 75 I will probably get in long enough to secure the steps. << because I will turn hilariously blue.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]