zeosand?

Apr 19, 2012
Could not find a specific forum for this question so i figured i would put it here.

I have read lots of pros about zeosand. I have also read that certain brands can become like solid concrete in the filter, much like baquacil sand will do if left too long without changing. What is the best brand of zeo and what are the extra precautions to ensure it does not cloud the water. Naturally one needs to thoroughly backwash which is true with sand as well. I have read some stories that even with repeated backwashing it still clouded the water and would not clear up. I am considering zeosand for my own pool. I use the BBB method.

linen said:
Zeosand had had mixed results on the forum. Using DE in a sand filter has worked well (see poolschool article).

Are you having problems?

not really. just decided to change my sand and was considering zeo. i was having an issue last year of fine debris settling on the bottom just hours after vacuuming to waste. i assumed my pump was too powerful and pushing debris through, but i tried it on low setting and it was still happening. so even though the sand is only about five years old i am changing it out to see if there is any improvement. i just removed the old sand and did not have any channeling and the sand still looked good so i am not sure if the issue will continue or not. never had this issue before on any pools of my own or that i have cared for.

Elaborate if you will on using DE with sand filters. I have a 200 lb sand filter with a 1.5 Hp aquatools pump although the place i got it from had a 2.25 Hp sticker covering the 1.5 Hp tag. This is why i thought maybe i had too much pressure. This is an 18,000 gallon above ground pool with 1.5 Inch plumbing. If i go with plain pool filter sand how much DE would one use? And how does this change the backwashing schedule? I tried to find more details in pool school, but the only mention on this topic i could find said tbd.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.