Open 05/10/13 in Michigan with mesh cover

Opened 2 days ago, mesh cover.. It snowed today! Anyways hopefully not much longer to go. My test results before adding anything were:

PH 8.2
FC 0
CC
CYA About 10
TA 60
CH 270

Added acid, stabilizer to about 30, and liquid 12.5% chlorine only for now. Vacummed once and several brushing. I will not vacum deep end until I see whats on bottom, only scooping worms and debris. I vacummed to waste blindly last year in deep end and sticks clogged my propellor in motor. Waiting a little bit for that. A tip for newcomers....make sure your cholrine cylinder is clean with bleach before you start. A couple of years ago I shocked way too long even though the water was clear, CC's coming out more than one just because of dirty cylinder..

Attachments

• 20130510_130631.jpg
    20130510_130631.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 20130510_174454.jpg
    20130510_174454.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 20130512_125308.jpg
    20130512_125308.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 226
Photo of Day 4 after opening.

Continuing to shock, vacuum twice, more brushing, backwash once after reading rose 8 points. I can finally see the main drain in deep end today.

PH 7.2
FC 16.5
CC 1
CYA 30

Question for the experts. My PH is 7.2 with FC at 16.5

I know the PH reading will be high with chlorine level that high at shock level. I added acid to reduce PH when original reading upon opening was 8.2. I added 5 cups of stabilizer in a sock to bring CYA to 30. Does stabilizer lower PH? Should I leave the PH as is even though I know the reading may be high due to current chlorine level?

Attachments

• Day 4.jpg
    Day 4.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 184
I'm sending this link to my Michigan friend around the corner who also was given a mesh cover to use last fall (new pool) and is pulling her hair out trying to get it cleared up right now. Hopefully this will encourage her! I'm heading over to her house this afternoon with my tf100 as hers hasn't arrived yet today; her sand filter is also running low psi (said it was around 7 and was at 15 last year) so suggested she get some DE to run thru it (?? correct?). Looks fantastic!

05/17/13 Day 7

Had to raise PH with 2 cups of Borax mixed in water. My PH readings were below 7.2 with high FC. After backwashing twice stabilizer measured down to 20 so am adding more to bring to 40 because I know I am close. I am not going to perform the overnight test yet because the water is not clear enough for my standards. Full test yesterday night:

PH 7.4
FC 12.5
CC .5
TA 80
CH 230
CYA 20

So, still shocking. Since it has been sunny here, not today, hoping added stabilizer will reduce my chlorine loss every 24 hours. Will do the overnight test soon.

Redhdgirl417. I read your post above. Yes, opening with mesh cover in Michigan results green water for me. Im thinking if I opened in April maybe it would not be so bad, but Im good with this because it usually takes a week or two to clear it up. I dont know much about filter pressure problems that your friend is having. The other experts here will have to advise you on that.

Having pool patience here! Talk to everyone soon....Lisa

Attachments

• 17th.jpg
    17th.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 131
My trouble free pool.

Finally did overnight test and passed..hard to figure out time to do it when I work full time. Put heater on today in this Michigan cold weather. Water is 65 degrees, trying to heat it up so kids can swim tomorrow...This photo is today in the 8 foot deep end. The pollen and tree helicopter thingys are driving me crazy!

Attachments

• 20130524_170222.jpg
    20130524_170222.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 73
June 1st with photo

For everyone interested in my thread, wanted to do an update with my photo. I have been a member here for 4 years now, I use the TF test kit, I dont take my water to the pool store, I use liquid chlorine only...... Listen to these experts here, you will have your pool cleared up in no time. My PH is stable at 7.5 which is a little unusual, I usually have to add acid every so often. Lots of rain and storms here in Michigan. This photo, if I can get it to work, is my Polaris 9300 robot.

Attachments

• june1second.jpg
    june1second.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 40

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.