Back again- year 2!

May 22, 2012
Last year I found this site, and had the best water in 10 years of pool ownership-my cya was HIGH and with partial drains and fills, was able to manage a fairly high cya level for the summer (75). Now I am getting ready to open my pool, so I checked my cya level and its at ZERO. We've have flooding rains so I think that level is pretty accurate. My questions are: I'm using some pool test chemicals left over from last year to check cya-is it still good.I have to order more anyway, but wonder if old solution can affect reading. Also, should I have my pool opener but in the normal chems. they put in since I most likely need to raise my cya. I've never have to add cya and am unsure how and how much. THanks in advance for any advice

Use PoolCalculator.com to figure the dose for you - link in my sig. Just add enough to get to about 30 CYA for now. Wait about a week to test and and adjust the CYA from there.

20 CYA can show up as zero on the test kit, so you may be somewhere between zero and 20ish. Best to err on the safe/low side.

My pool was opened yesterday- did my test FC-0 ,CYA 0
I added a jug of leftover bleach from last year-
I'm going to store to get a load of bleach and also my stabilizer. I've never had to add to my cya before. Is it sold as stabilizer, or conditioner? The pool calculator says to add 104 oz by wt, 109 vl. or 270 oz liquid. Is liquid better? Does this sound like alot to add at once? This is starting at 0 going to 30. Is this too much to add using the sock in the skimmer method?Does the stuff in the sock disolve and I keep adding or does it have to be all at once. Sorry for all the questions-

Liquid is instantly there but a lot more expensive. The walmart brand granular dissolves fast and is inexpensive. It's labeled Conditioner, Stabilizer, etc. Look for active ingredient you want at least 95% Cyanuric Acid. Some Pool store brands are only 50% so read the label.

I'm concerned about something else however. To go from 75 to 0 in an inground pool there is a possibility you have ammonia. I would suggest you stop by Petsmart or Petco and pick up an ammonia test kit for less than $10. Over the winter CYA can convert to ammonia under the right (and unfortunately more common than I previously thought circumstances). It takes ALOT of chlorine to breakdown the ammonia.

I use nylon knee highs and they hold about 2 lbs at once. You can buy a 10 pack and tie off socks all around the pool. They will dissolve within a day or two.

Kjohnson:
CYA dropping from 75 to 0 is a bit unusual. You may have ammonia, so you might consider testing for that.

As for adding CYA/Stabilizer, Adding 104 oz is a lot for one sock. I would use several socks. A sturdy piece of lawn furniture, a full bottle of bleach (ideally an old bottle of bleach filled with water), or a weight plate serve as a good source from which to secure the socks so that they dangle in front of a return jet. You could also place a sock in each skimmer basket in addition to hanging sock(s) in front of a return. Give the socks an occasional squeeze to accelerate dissolving.

I would go slowly when adding CYA. Also keep in mind that it can take up to 5-7 days for all the added CYA to appear in your test results even though the CYA should dissolve sooner than that.

If I do have an ammonia issue, is there something else I need to do. I was told I had a high ammonia level 3 years ago before BBB- they asked if earthworms got in pool during the winter. We had some this year, and alot of those things that curl up in a ball(?) Had same amount last year at opening. We had major floods here so I think my was was very diluted.

When the chlorine level gets to zero over the winter, bacteria can grow and they can consume the CYA. They can either turn it into ammonia or they can turn it into nitrogen gas. If they turned it into ammonia, then this should show up in an ammonia test kit and it will take a huge amount of chlorine to get rid of it. If they turned the CYA into nitrogen gas, then you may not have much chlorine demand and the chlorine you add should hold. Cross your fingers and hope for the latter.

I've added my CYA to get it to 30-Haven't tested it yet-takes a week or so to register right? I've beek shocking to 13-14 for 3 days and have not yet vaccumed or back washed-should I do that now? The FC have been keeping at 13 with cc of 1 since yesterday. The pool is cloudy-but seems to be getting a little better each day. Also, I haven't done anything about the ph level-thought I should get my cya in order and start shocking....correct?

CYA can take up to a week after dissolving to show up on the test. For now, just assume it is in there. Backwash when the filter goes up 25% of the clean pressure. I quickly glanced through the thread and didn't see a pH number. Just remember, pH reads artificially high when FC>10

Past my overnight test

Mod Edit: I moved your post here since it is a continuation of the previous thread.

Back again!
I added cya to get to 30 a week or so ago- shocked to 15 for the past week and passed my overnight test. My water looks clear but not "sparkly" like last year (last year was 1st BBB year). During my shocking process I didn't lose large amounts of FC and my cc was always .5 never much more. We haven't had alot of sun or warm temps, and my pool is covered by an electric cover. My Ph is 7.2. Should I wait until my FC goes down to it target level of 4 and then see if I need to raise ph, or add soda ash/borax now. BTW- is soda ash the same as baking soda? Also, If I have to top pool off periodically with my well water, should I give it a dose of something for iron?
FC-15
cc.5
ph7.2
ta 160
cya 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would keep it at shock level for now (worry about ph later) since you have not passed the water is crystal clear criteria.

What I might suggest trying to speed up the clearing is: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

Kjohnson said:
BTW- is soda ash the same as baking soda?
No, see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals

Kjohnson said:
Also, If I have to top pool off periodically with my well water, should I give it a dose of something for iron?
I would only worry about it if you start water tinting (still clear but colored) or if you are getting metal staining.

My pool is nice and clear now, passed my overnight and now I'm letting fc drift down to a normal level of 4. I'm also going to add borax to raise my ph to 7.5, it's 7.2 now. My TA is 160-will borax raise the TA too much? Another question I have is how many hours a day should I run my pump/ filter? I've ran it 24/7 the past few years when I didn't understand anything about my pool, but now that I have a handle on it, I'm hoping to save a little on my electric bill.

I thought that the PH level was supposed to be 7.5 - 7.8. I'll just let it be for now. Don't know what to do with myself if I'm not adding something or measuring something! Maybe I'll just enjoy my clear pool for awhile!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.