Just opened today - testing results, please advise

tethys69

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Hampton Roads area, VA
Greetings once again TFP!

Just opened my pool today. Here are my numbers. I would love feedback on what to do next.

FC - 0
CC - 0
pH - <6.8
TA - 40
CH - 50
CYA - 0 (I realize it's probably not truly 0, but when I did the test it never clouded up)

I was unsure what to tackle first considering everything seems to need work. After reading a good number of posts I went with getting my pH up. Since I don't really know it's exact number (other than <6.8) I took a guess at about 6.6ish (hoping not to over shoot.. it could be less than that) and added 100oz by volume Borax, as per the Pool Calculator, to get it to 7.5. The PC also states that by doing this my TA will rise to a healthy 56, so that's good.

First question: how long should I wait to retest the pH? I've read 30 minutes but would like to confirm.
Second question: should I get my CYA up to about 30 - 40 BEFORE shocking? Or can these be done at the same time? (i.e. put in enough stabilizer to get CYA to 30 and, at the same time, enter enough bleach to shock as if the CYA was already at 30).

It's always great to have the support of the TFP crew!

Thanks!

Thanks for the rapid response, duraleigh (wow!).

I'll give it a go and report back with any further issues.

One more fast question while I'm here: I do have a vinyl liner, as I state in my signature, but I have cement around the pool. Do I need to worry about Calcium at all? Is there EVER a level of Calcium that's too low for my pool type? I've read here more than once that there are only 2 reasons to worry about Ch for a vinal pool,

1) manufacturers warranty requires a minimum Ch
2) foaming around the jets

but since I have cement AROUND the vinyl I figured I'd ask just to be sure.

(Love it here at TFP, just sayin'. BTW, I'm also a fan of your TFTestKits, Dave. :-D )

I assume you mean the horizontal cement decking and there is no cement that is submersed in the water. So you can disregard CH.
(unless it gets over 400 or so)

Thanks for the nice words about the kit!! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.