Deck extension help or advice needed for new AGP

Alscrx

May 12, 2013
CT
Hi guys, I am new to this forum as I just invested in a new AGP to replace the intex that was here when we bought our house. I could have gone a lot bigger than 18ft round but decided I still wanted my yard. Now I did have to pull a permit to have my pool installed and it should be in tomorrow.

I have a 12 ft wide deck and the pool had to be installed 15ft away from the house by code here in CT. So that leaves me with a gap from my deck to pool. I want to install the deck to pool ladder so I will be adding a VERY SMALL portion of decking to make that happen. I was thinking only 3-4 feet wide.

imagergc.jpg

I thought of 2 options,

Option1
Can i sister the joist and cantilever 3 feet? As you can see in the pic, the beam is on the edge of the existing deck. Which will bring the deck out, but the pool will still be higher than the deck. :hammer:

Here you can see the existing joists,
imagetzrr.jpg

Here is the existing beam close to the edge.
imagecedb.jpg

imagebzci.jpg

Option 2
Just build a step on top of existing deck that brings me to correct height of pool and also extends me out?

Thanks for your reply! Yesterday the pool was installed. It looks good, i also stopped by town hall and spoke to building inspector. He stated if i build a free standing deck, deck pier blocks would pass his inspection. Well no digging kinda changes things as i may build a deck extension thats a half circle or half pool deck. Here are some pics after pool was installed,

You can see there is a nice size space on this side of pool to add a deck.
img0821y.jpg

img0819w.jpg

Here you can see its about 3ft from existing deck to pool.
img0820pd.jpg

Any deck plans or ideas for this?

Personally I'd go the deck block route, especially if the inspector is good with it.
If you look in my signature there's a link to my build, there may be some pics in there that help with your project.

PS, DeckPlans.com is a good site for this, they are manunfacturers of deck blocks and have lots of pics and free plans.

Does anyone know if you are able to use a beam instead of soooooooo many deck blocks?

Either a 2x6 or 2x8 either single beam or double beam i would think would elimate about half the amount of deck blocks needed. Of course Iwould like to properly space the deck blocks to support the beam.

It's up to local building codes.
Where I am they allow 5 or 6 feet between each center of block and then double beam on minimum 4x4, I can't recall the overhang of end beam but with mine I think it was 18" or something.

I have not updated this because i have been busy, but i am almost done with the framing.

What did you guys do for railings?

Did you have a 48" height railing requirment? I am confused by where the 48" start from....is it the ground, or the new deck?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cool! My stairs attachment are 2 blue bungee cords! lol

That looks awesome. Being in PA, I didn't think I could use deck blocks instead of digging a footer. You did it in CT? Don't you have worse freeze than I do? I want to build a deck but have some things in my way. First is cost which is the biggest hindrance. Second is, it would be right above my well but I was first not going to go clear up to pool level and do a step around the edge of the pool like you did. Was thinking I could dig up the well, build a deck over top, and build a large hinged trap door in the floor of the deck to access the well. My well is buried in a 5 foot wide drum. Figured I could have access to it doing it this way with digging up the drum and building a trap door.

The step idea up to pool level is definitely something I would do. I don't want to make the deck level with the pool because it would block windows on the back of the house. I figured half the height of the pool and then a 2 tier step around the pool edge to get to the edge.

Hey guys, thanks for the positive replys. I didn't have email notification turned :brickwall::brickwall:on so I just saw them all now. I did draw up a few ideas and this one filled our needs the best. The hardest part was picking a design lol.

I decided it was easier to ascend a gradual single step then if you wanted to go in the pool the second step.
In my own opinion, it looks better and is safer than two steps straight up to pool height.

mrodgers- feel free to pm me about frost heave in northeastern climates. If you want a quick answer, inspector allowed it and I went with it. I watched and measured the deck all winter lol, a little OCD, and NO heave even with the CRAZY winter this year in CT. I thought about extending the deck further around pool and the filter is in my way. So I also though about a hinges deck section that would allow me to remove the filter for winter as well as cleaning, etc. This summer I am gonna just enjoy the new deck, next summer I will replace existing deck boards to match. And MAYBE extend the new deck lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.