Am I right that some pools are designed with the main drain

derekc

May 9, 2013
Am I right that some pools are designed with the main drain running one pipe to a skimmer which has another pipe to the pump? In aother word, the main drain is not directly connected to a pump?

Re: Am I right that some pools are designed with the main dr

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

Yup. Both my pools have had the floor plumbed to the skimmer. Then a float diverter can be used to adjust the flow between the skimmer and floor.

The goal of a design like the one you describe is to make sure the pump continues to get water even when the skimmer basket is completely full of leaves, and to keep costs down. I much prefer the approach where the main drain is plumbed all the way to the equipment pad on it's own pipe, but not all builders do that even though the added expense is minimal.

Haha, for seven years I thought my main drain was clogged because there was just no suction at the main drain. It doesn't even suck a leave right next it. Yesterday I ran a snake camera into the skimmer hole and it comes out from the main drain with no T. Now I know why. The diverter has been missing!
Now I know I need to buy one. Next question is are they universal? If not, I sure hope I can id the make and model of my skimmer.

Add a picture of the bottom of the skimmer ... there are a couple different designs for the diverter.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Your main drain should not have detectable suction even with a float valve. Most main drains are designed to distribute the flow rate in such a way as to prevent entrapment so they tend to only suck in debris from a few inches away.

Ok. I will take pics (with measurement).
I will buy a diverter for that skimmer (that connects to the main drain) and float valves for 3 other single-hole skimmers.
Then when I clean pool, I just close the opening on the diverter and push all the debris to the main drain. For years I have been vacuuming the debris. That was work!
Thank you everyone.

derekc said:
Ok. I will take pics (with measurement).
I will buy a diverter for that skimmer (that connects to the main drain) and float valves for 3 other single-hole skimmers.
Then when I clean pool, I just close the opening on the diverter and push all the debris to the main drain. For years I have been vacuuming the debris. That was work!
Thank you everyone.
That doesn't work as good as it sounds. I do it when I have one or two stray pieces of debris, but it takes a lot of practice to get good at getting enough current to move stuff to the drain without overshooting.

You'll still need to vacuum.

I agree with Richard. The main drain covers have small openings and don't work very well at collecting debris. Much of the debris will end up getting stuck in the holes. You are much better off using a vacuum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I do both. We don't get lots of leaves so mostly what we get on the bottom of the pool is dust or blown dirt. I sweep it all towards the main drain and it sucks most of it in, then I get the leaf net and have developed good technique for sneaking up on the remainder and scooping it out. I don't have to vacuum often at all. Our main drain has the two drain inlets plumbed to one pipe which goes directly to the filter area. If I shut off the skimmer baskets I can get really good suction for dust and dirt. We are blessed that we don't get lots of leaves. We had nothing but leaves in the pool in our old house.

Ha, it is a pentair. I bought a Pentair 85015200 and it is coming. Hopefully I can then control the suction of my bottom main drain.
They called it Skimmer Equalizer. The names are confusing. Float valve, diverter valve, equalizer, what else?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.