Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I right that some pools are designed with the main drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I right that some pools are designed with the main drain

Am I right that some pools are designed with the main drain running one pipe to a skimmer which has another pipe to the pump? In aother word, the main drain is not directly connected to a pump?
    mwitt21w
    20000 gallon fiberglass, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420, Pentair Whisperflow WF-23, Pentair Intellichlor Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I right that some pools are designed with the main dr

Welcome to TFP!

Yup. Both my pools have had the floor plumbed to the skimmer. Then a float diverter can be used to adjust the flow between the skimmer and floor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes. That is exactly how mine is plumbed. Two holes in the bottom of the skimmer. Front hole is connected to the main drain and back hole is to the pump. Works great.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

The goal of a design like the one you describe is to make sure the pump continues to get water even when the skimmer basket is completely full of leaves, and to keep costs down. I much prefer the approach where the main drain is plumbed all the way to the equipment pad on it's own pipe, but not all builders do that even though the added expense is minimal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Haha, for seven years I thought my main drain was clogged because there was just no suction at the main drain. It doesn't even suck a leave right next it. Yesterday I ran a snake camera into the skimmer hole and it comes out from the main drain with no T. Now I know why. The diverter has been missing!
    Now I know I need to buy one. Next question is are they universal? If not, I sure hope I can id the make and model of my skimmer.
    mwitt21w
    20000 gallon fiberglass, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420, Pentair Whisperflow WF-23, Pentair Intellichlor Generator

6. Back To Top    #6

Add a picture of the bottom of the skimmer ... there are a couple different designs for the diverter.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Your main drain should not have detectable suction even with a float valve. Most main drains are designed to distribute the flow rate in such a way as to prevent entrapment so they tend to only suck in debris from a few inches away.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. I will take pics (with measurement).
    I will buy a diverter for that skimmer (that connects to the main drain) and float valves for 3 other single-hole skimmers.
    Then when I clean pool, I just close the opening on the diverter and push all the debris to the main drain. For years I have been vacuuming the debris. That was work!
    Thank you everyone.
    mwitt21w

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by derekc
    Ok. I will take pics (with measurement).
    I will buy a diverter for that skimmer (that connects to the main drain) and float valves for 3 other single-hole skimmers.
    Then when I clean pool, I just close the opening on the diverter and push all the debris to the main drain. For years I have been vacuuming the debris. That was work!
    Thank you everyone.
    That doesn't work as good as it sounds. I do it when I have one or two stray pieces of debris, but it takes a lot of practice to get good at getting enough current to move stuff to the drain without overshooting.

You'll still need to vacuum.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree with Richard. The main drain covers have small openings and don't work very well at collecting debris. Much of the debris will end up getting stuck in the holes. You are much better off using a vacuum.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

I do both. We don't get lots of leaves so mostly what we get on the bottom of the pool is dust or blown dirt. I sweep it all towards the main drain and it sucks most of it in, then I get the leaf net and have developed good technique for sneaking up on the remainder and scooping it out. I don't have to vacuum often at all. Our main drain has the two drain inlets plumbed to one pipe which goes directly to the filter area. If I shut off the skimmer baskets I can get really good suction for dust and dirt. We are blessed that we don't get lots of leaves. We had nothing but leaves in the pool in our old house.
    Built in October 2011, 16 x 26 x 20 L shaped vinyl IG steel wall pool, Hayward DE pro grid verticle filter 4800 pool, Hayward two speed superpump, 120,000 BTU Pentair Ultra Temp Heat Pump, Aqua Rite Salt system, 8' wide walk out steps, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 main drains, 500 watt underwater light, intermatic mechanical timer

12. Back To Top    #12

Ha, it is a pentair. I bought a Pentair 85015200 and it is coming. Hopefully I can then control the suction of my bottom main drain.
    They called it Skimmer Equalizer. The names are confusing. Float valve, diverter valve, equalizer, what else?
    mwitt21w