Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mystery tube between pump outlet and pool return???

1. Back To Top    #1

Mystery tube between pump outlet and pool return???

Does anyone know why the pipe after the pump outlet (before the multiport valve) would be connected to the return with a small (0.25 inch dia.) tube (black tube in picture)??? I'm going to put in a SWG and want to make sure I can get rid of the tube...
    [attachment=0:18q5jfx7]setup_old.jpg[/attachment:18q5jfx7]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21K gal, IG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, sand filter, Swimpure Plus SWG, Polaris 180? and PB4 booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mystery tube between pump outlet and pool return???

My guess is it is a bypass where a feeder tube was installed for a chlorine or acid feed system, like the Liquidator or similar
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Issac-1 is right. It was probably where a chlorinator used to go and instead of replacing the pipes with the holes drilled in them, they just ran a straight piece of chlorinator hose.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Makes sense, thanks for letting me know. I'm going to get rid of the pipe with the hole in the return line to install a SWG. Is there a good way to plug the hole in the pipe between the pump and filter?
    21K gal, IG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, sand filter, Swimpure Plus SWG, Polaris 180? and PB4 booster pump

5. Back To Top    #5

There are several ways. You could drill and tap the hole, and put in a plug. You could cut the pipe and use a coupling. You could cut a coupling in half, and then in half again lengthwise to make a patch piece. Glue the patch piece over the hole. Use a clamp to hold the patch piece until the glue dries.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

VERY nice tips, JamesW.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School