Thinking of picking up an Intext Ultra Fram this year

May 11, 2013
Littleton, NH
Hello everyone,

I've been reading all kinds of stuff here at TFP. Lots of great information here. I'm not completely new to pools in fact we've had an easy set for a couple of years now. I'm interested in doing a better job with pool maintenance this year (although I've not had any major problems) and plan to use the BBB method.

Anyhow, last years pool bit the dust and found it's way into the dumpster during spring cleaning recently. We want to get a new, better pool this year. I think we've decided on the Ultra Frame style pool from Intex. I think it we'd like it better than the easy set pools. In particular we're looking at either the 16' or 18' by 48" pool like this one - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-18-X-48 ... 74583?_mm=

Here's a few questions I have. I've heard that you have to be much better at leveling the ground with this type of pool. I have a pretty flat back yard and am wondering if I can just add sand and rake it out over the lawn to flatten the area. I would then add some pavers around the edge for under the legs. OR, do I need to dig up the grass and start fresh?

Also - how effective is the pump that comes with this pool? I want to know if I'm going to need to upgrade my pump right away or not. Will probably add a SWG at some point, maybe next season.

We plan to add some type of solar heater to the system as well such as this one - http://www.amazon.com/Pool-Solar-Heatin ... 3854011_26 will that effect the pump?

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as time goes on, I'm totally into modifications to improve the pool, make it easier to run, more fun, etc.

Thanks in advance!
~Jason

First, we've had kiddie pools, easysets, and small frame Intex pools. We upgraded in size every few years to match the kids growing. We always drained for winter and would drain and refill few times during the summer since the pools were small with how much water was needed. Bought the 22' Intex Ultra Frame through Walmart last year before Memorial Day.

This was our first time leaving a pool filled and winterizing. I had very little problems opening back up closing and opening with bleach after stopping the SWG system to winterize and following informqtion here on the forum. I need another bag of salt in the pool yet to fire the SWG up for this year. I've been using about a quart of bleach every 3 days to maintain while impatiently waiting for swimming season to start.

We LOVE our Ultra Frame. I think you'll be surprised how non-flat the ground is if you dig and level it. I always describe our 2 acre as flatter than Walmart's floor. I was still about 16 inches dug down to level over the 24' span I dug. You definitely want to dig and get it level. If you try to use sand, it can wash out under the pool creating a big problem. I hand dug ours over the course of about a week and a half.

I bought the Intex SWG and we live it. I literally got it running and balanced and never touched it again the rest of the summer other than testing the water.

The 22' came with a 2650 gph pump/filter and it is plenty. The 2650 gph sand filter is supposedly pretty good judged on what I've read. I'm not sure how the 1500 gph pump is which I would think would come with the 16 and 18 foot pools.

Upgrading? I plan to upgrade to an Intex sand filter and also plan to hard pipe with pvc instead of the corrogated hoses. I've read that tge Intex hoses are pretty much equivalent to pumping through 100 feet or something of hard pipe.

We were in the same boat. We went with the 18x48. I'd urge you to NOT use sand, it WILL shift & settle, and wash out. I'm speaking from experience. I should be good this year, but only time will tell. Dig until you're level, put down foam- even ¼" foam board helps- that's what we have. Definitely use pavers too. I bought them but forget the reason they didn't get installed.

The filter that came with the pool- I knew before we bought it that it was nowhere near up to the task. It's never been out of the shed or plugged in. We bought a pump/sand filter setup at the pool store a while back and it's been great. If you don't have a good one yet, get one from the beginning. It will make a difference. The one it comes with is too weak to vacuum with.

Thanks for the replies. We went out back today to pick a spot in the yard and found that it is only out of level by 1/8 of a bubble over 12ft (longest 2x4 i had). But there are some dips in it. Was debating whether to fill the dips and valleys or dig it all out. Sounds like i need to get digging. I will probably go with the foam board and pavers. Do i need to dig the pavers down level with the ground? Hoping to order the pool in a couple weeks, time to get digging.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.