Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best rock for salt water pool waterfall

1. Back To Top    #1

Best rock for salt water pool waterfall

Hello - I have read a lot about swg and stone issues. I am in dallas and putting in a pool soon. I see a lot written about coping but not about waterfalls. What Rock would you recommend. I know the following for coping:
    Get and keep the ph correct
    Keep salt at correct level
    Use a harder stone like tenn or pa flagstone
    Seal the stone

I want a salt pool because my daughter gets exema in public pools but not my neighbors salt pool.

I have also read uv and ozone is not that great

Also, i saw a post that indicated someone had a salt generator to create chlorine but it sounded like the salt was contained in a separate area not the pool itself - what would this be?

Any advise is appreciated

Anthony
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Best rock for salt water pool waterfall

Does your builder have a suggestion about stone? Often, it is restricted by what is available to him.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello - I had 4 pool builders tell me to go with Ozone. One said if I did not like it he would replace it with salt for free. He said he has made that offer before and no one ha take him up on it. I get the impression that some of them have tunnel vision - they keep it simple for themselves. For example, 2 have quit offering plaster and go with a min of quartz because of streaking and that way the get no complaints. I think the same is happening with ozone. No complaints, but does it do much?
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

4. Back To Top    #4

"Also, i saw a post that indicated someone had a salt generator to create chlorine but it sounded like the salt was contained in a separate area not the pool itself - what would this be?"

I remember, many years ago, having a neighbor with a salt water chlorine generator that used an offline tank to generate the chlorine and meter it into the return line. The long term issue with this system was the constant replacement of anode plates, a caustic sludge that accumulated, replacement of salt, and eventual salt build up in the pool water, which eventually had to be managed.

I do not remember the company lasting very long, and within the next few years, the SWGs we currently use where in the market, with people putting the salt directly into the pool.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the info on the old salt info

6. Back To Top    #6

Any suggestions on rock for a waterfall?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by aiannar974
    Any suggestions on rock for a waterfall?
    the denser the better. Around austin pool builders will not mix salt and natural stone. Maybe you can do a fake rock waterfall made out of concrete?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating