Houlton, Maine
Just got new K-2006, results as follows:

ph-7.6
FC- 7
CC-1
TA-90
CH-500
CYA-38

Water is clear and sparkly. But, have noticed that in the 24 hrs since I replaced the DE with cellulose the water already looks better. The high CH probably from excessive(sole?) use of cal-hypo for chlorine by previous owners. Problem is that since the water has been clear enough to see bottom I have noticed light brown stain or discoloration on curve from wall onto bottom all the way around pool and a little less but still present on floor of deep end along with three dark brown dots on floor of deep end. Pool service guy said it was probably "failure of plaster"???
Any wonder that no one else but me is going to take care of the pool anymore?
Initially thought that the local pool store could help me, but it has become abundantly clear that they just want to sell me something. Stumbling onto this site has been a Godsend, probably the best thing that could have happened in my newly acquired quest to take care of the pool myself. :-D
Is it possible that this is a scaling problem? and will it be corrected by replacing some percentage of pool water and bringing the CH down to a more reasonable level? or is there a need for a more extensive treatment?

Thanks a lot in advance

Keith

Hi, Keith,

Well, it might be scale but brownish scale usually comes from a really dirty pool where debris has been encapsulated by the white scale.

I assume it does not budge when you brush it, right?

That's not mine, fortunately. I have scaling, but no metals embedded in it.

A wire pool brush and maintaining a negative CSI -the pool calculator will tell you what it is when you plug in numbers - can slowly loosen it. I'm talking glacial pace. Think years. Or shell out big dollars for an acid wash and/or sandblasting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.