Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is normal startup PSI?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is normal startup PSI?

I have a Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge filter being pushed by a WhisperFlow 2 speed pump. For the life of me I can't remember what the startup pressure was when we first went live. I thought it was 12 PSI in high but it might have been in the low speed when the BP first started it up. I just replaced the cartridges with new ones and did not see a dramatic drop in PSI. Went from about 22 PSI with old cartridges down to about 18 PSI. Just trying to determine if I have something else going on. Flow on the return side seems OK. The filter is rated for 50 PSI max and I run a pressure side cleaner with no booster pump. Is 50 Max a realistic pressure to be hit? Seems high, even for a maximum.
    17x39 Rectangular, 20,000 Gal, Plaster, Pentair Easy Touch Automation and Remote
    Pentair WhisperFlow 2 hp pump with Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Master Temp Gas Heater, Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend II Cleaner
    ..and one frog that thinks the pool is his.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is normal startup PSI?

18 PSI would be consistent with a 2 HP pump (full speed) and 2" plumbing.

Is 50 Max a realistic pressure to be hit?
    No, for most pumps, pressure cannot get that high. For the 2 HP Whisperflo, 38 PSI is maximum but that would be with the flow rate shut off after the filter (i.e. dead head).
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Great thanks. It is 2 inch plumbing. I'm planning on running at low speed when not cleaning but have been running in during the first two weeks to turn the pool over more to clean.
    17x39 Rectangular, 20,000 Gal, Plaster, Pentair Easy Touch Automation and Remote
    Pentair Master Temp Gas Heater, Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend II Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

You might want to add an additional pressure gauge downstream of the filter to see if there is some other restriction, like under sized eyeball return fittings, etc., or for that matter just go unscrew the eyeballs and see if the pressure drops considerably.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I'm not using eyeballs at all.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Thanks. I'm not using eyeballs at all.
    So, if your returns have no eyeball fitting, you are not really getting the best flow from your system. The point in eyeballs is it gives you the ability to direct the flow to establish circular movement so the water constantly flows past your skimmers....helping them gather debris.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School