Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA ... is 80ppm too high?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA ... is 80ppm too high?

Split from cya-is-80ppm-too-high-t53157.html Butterfly

I have a swg. I also keep my cya around 80 but my swg only generates 1.5 FC after running the pump 10-12 hrs a day. That seems low to me. Does the cell need to be replaced? I was thinking about purchasing a new swg but I am conflicted because to buy a new one ( I like an auto pilot n is very expensive) or should I replace the cell for $500 on an 8 yr. old unit.

Or do I run the pump 24 hrs a day? Which in turn is a higher electric bill.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CYA ... is 80ppm too high?

First thing I would do is perform the OCLT to see if you have organics in the pool which would account for your chlorine loss.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Well no overnight FC loss. It is steady at 1.5.....my cc is .5

Everything else is good.

Ph-7.5
    TA-60/70
    Ch-250
    Cya-80

Does this mean the cell is going bad? Part of the reason might be is my cell is made for a 25k gallon pool. I have 20k gallons. In years past my FC been in normal range 2.5-3.0

Thanks
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

4. Back To Top    #4

If this helps....my unit is 8 yrs. old but my swim season is 4 months a yr. Also every season I would clean it w/ muriatic acid. The condition of the cell looked good,no build up.

Also does generic cells work?

5. Back To Top    #5

It does seem likely that your cell is wearing out, though there isn't enough information here to be sure.

Generic cells usually work. There aren't quite enough reports to be sure, but for the moment it seems that the generics are getting more complaints than OEM cells. Still, most of the time they work out. Remember that using a generic cell voids your warranty, though that probably isn't an issue after eight years.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Could the temp. Of the water affect the electrode making chlorine? My salt level is optimum at 4000 ppm but the control panel low salt indicator is lit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ethany
    Could the temp. Of the water affect the electrode making chlorine? My salt level is optimum at 4000 ppm but the control panel low salt indicator is lit.
    Sounds like worn cell with the low salt indicator with 4000 ppm as measured.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

now comes the big question of replacing the cell or buying a whole new unit. I realize a new unit would end up being double the cost but i need to factor in the overall condition of this 8 year old unit. the housing the cell sits in is plastic and its seen better days,had a leak that i ended up fixing but who knows when it totally falls apart. The issue of the control panel,I'm sure thats expensive,I have had a few glitches with that. A new cell is in ballpark of $500-600.

They dont make it easy. On the bright side,8 yrs. for one cell sounds pretty good.