Crack on the front of my 32" sand filter

Apr 14, 2011
The Bluegrass State
Went to the backyard today and discovered about a four inch crack on the front of my Waterways sand filter's body and a small stream of water shooting out the front... lovely. My pool guy is recommending a cartridge system for the replacement but I've had no issues with the sand filter at all. So...

1. Is a cracked sand filter like this, common? May be a good idea to go to a cartridge system then?

2. I see the cartridge systems do a better job cleaning but what's the real maintenance cost here? D they eat $200 filters every year? My sand filter never asked me for a dime during its lifetime (didn't live long enough to need the sand replaced).

3. What would you do if this happened to you?

Thanks all!

If you are used to sand and satisfied with the clarity it provides I would stick with sand. Carts offer slightly better clarity but are definitely more maintenance and can be much more of a pain to clear a green pool than a sand filter is.

frustratedpoolmom said:
If you are used to sand and satisfied with the clarity it provides I would stick with sand. Carts offer slightly better clarity but are definitely more maintenance and can be much more of a pain to clear a green pool than a sand filter is.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I guess the only unknown then is cost. Are cartridge systems more expensive than sand?

Stay with what you know and already like. Switching to a cart, regardless of cost, will have you second guessing your decision. Likewise, someone who is used to DE or a Cart and likes it should never change.

Sometimes, the type of filter suits a particular pool a little better and it sounds like you have a good fit.

Disregard the improvement in water quality....it's very difficult to see most of the time.

It is NOT common for a sand filter to split....it's really quite rare.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.