Overshot CYA - and white foam

Jun 29, 2012
Poor communication between my son and me ended up with a +10 CYA from my goal. (our current goal is 60-80 and we have a 90 reading). I know from past summer experience we will be replacing a fair bit of water over the summer and as a result I would expect our CYA to naturally go down. is +10 far enough out of line to dump/replace water?

I am in the process of shocking and am experiencing white foam and the pool seems to be insatiable for chlorine. Throughout the day I have added 8 gallons of liquid 15% chlorine. Everytime I test ( about 2 hours apart ) we are back down to 6-8 FC with 4 CC. I just picked up an additional 8 gallons, hoping I won't run out of that batch as our Maynards is running pretty low

TA - 120
PH - 7.2
FC - 6 (on last test)
CC - 4
CH - 250
CYA - 90

Your shock level to maintain for your CYA level of 90 is...............35, which is why we recommend lower levels. Much harder to shock a pool with it that high. What testing method are you using?

The foam is normal - sounds like you have an ammonia issue - see this article
http://www.troublefreepool.com/opening-a-pool-to-high-chlorine-demand-ammonia-t6711.html
and http://www.troublefreepool.com/post56824.html#p56824

But as Woody pointed out, raising the CYA that high prior to completing the shock process will compound your problem. I would recommend you do a partial drain and refill to lower the CYA level - this will also lower your ammonia level as well and should make the shock process go quicker. If you would like to confirm if this is ammonia - you can purchase an ammonia test kit from pet stores that sell fish tank supplies.

Just to complete this thread. I replaced about 12% of the water. I haven't retested the CYA as I am out of the reagent but I am reasonably sure this will be roughly 78 which is on the high side in my range. Otherwise we have PH at 7.4, TA at 120, salt at 3100, FC at 4, CC at 0. The salt generator is running at 80% and we will turn back to 30-40% once the FC actually starts to raise some.

After replacing the water we ran through a full shock process.

The foam has disappeared.

The water isn't completely sparkling at this point but we can see to the bottom and there is no obvious clouding. Will continue to monitor levels and aerate to bring PH up to 7.6.

Thanks for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.