Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the TF-100 - How messed up is my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Got the TF-100 - How messed up is my pool?

TF-100 just arrived and I quickly unpacked it and began testing my water. As a bit of a background, I have been having many issues with the pool and just came back to a green pool a few days ago. It is better now but still a little on the green side.

Here are my results:

CYA - about 150 (black dot disappeared before numbers started)
    FC - 1
    CC - 1.5
    TC - 2.5
    TA - 290
    CH - 800+ ( I stopped adding drops at this stage since it wasn't budging) Pool store claimed it was 525.

Standard Kit produced the following:

Chlorine of about 1
    PH of about 7.5

I use pucks and ozone for now. I'm prepared to start dumping water if absolutely needed by water is very expensive in Texas.

Thanks in advance for your help. Heading out to stock up on bleach which I will begin to need.
    15,000 gallon quartz finish, in-floor cleaning, Jandy CV580 cartridge filter, Jandy pump, Jandy heater, chlorine feeder and ozone

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Got the TF-100 - How messed up is my pool?

Well, you have some issues for sure. Your CYA and (probably) your CH are w-a-ay too high and the only way to get them in line is through a partial drain (s). Your water bill may be cheaper than you think...it averages around $5 per thousand gallons nationwide.

Next, your chlorine is w-a-a-ay too low but I think you know that. Until you can drain off some water you need to keep chlorine up around 12-14ppm to prevent algae.

To help you get started with a plan of attack, it would be helpful if you tested just the CH of your fill water and report that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Well, you have some issues for sure. Your CYA and (probably) your CH are w-a-ay too high and the only way to get them in line is through a partial drain (s). Your water bill may be cheaper than you think...it averages around $5 per thousand gallons nationwide.

Next, your chlorine is w-a-a-ay too low but I think you know that. Until you can drain off some water you need to keep chlorine up around 12-14ppm to prevent algae.

To help you get started with a plan of attack, it would be helpful if you tested just the CH of your fill water and report that.
    Fill water is about CH 120. Any advice is extremely helpful. I am lost and frustrated.
    15,000 gallon quartz finish, in-floor cleaning, Jandy CV580 cartridge filter, Jandy pump, Jandy heater, chlorine feeder and ozone

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If it was my pool, I would.....

Drain 50% of my water and refill

Test CYA and CH (if CYA is above 60 or so and CH is above 400 or so, do another 50% drain and refill.

Once my CYA reached 50-60 (50 is a bit better), I would start the shock process. You must pay careful attention to how we suggest to shock a pool....it involves lots of chlorine over several days but it will turn your pool crystal clear.

Did you check your water rate?
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

Test CYA and CH (if CYA is above 60 or so and CH is above 400 or so, do another 50% drain and refill.

Once my CYA reached 50-60 (50 is a bit better), I would start the shock process. You must pay careful attention to how we suggest to shock a pool....it involves lots of chlorine over several days but it will turn your pool crystal clear.

I'm not sure but Austin rates are very high. Going to drain most of it and just get this manageable.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sometimes you can call a local company and they will deliver water in trucks. It may or may not be cheaper than out of the tap, might be another alternative.
    16 x 32 Vinyl IGP ~22000 G

7. Back To Top    #7

Dumped out about 80% of the water over the weekend and just finished refilling.

Here are the results:

FC: 2
    CYA: 50
    CC: .5
    CH: 460 (I guess we have high calcium water)
    TA: 160

PH was initially high (8.2) but added acid to get it to around 7.

I started the shock process since the pool had algae in it before and CC was not zero. Added 2 1/2 jugs of 8.25% bleach and now have a FC of 18. I'll test in the morning but assuming no CC, do I need to continue to shock?

Anything else I should be doing at this stage? Thanks in advance.

8. Back To Top    #8

You should maintain the shock FC level until you pass the 3 criteria to stop. low CC is only one of the criteria. Is there still visible algae? Is the water clear? Have you passed the OCLT?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    You should maintain the shock FC level until you pass the 3 criteria to stop. low CC is only one of the criteria. Is there still visible algae? Is the water clear? Have you passed the OCLT?
    I didn't realize that it was all 3 criteria - I thought it was one of the three. Anyway, water is clear but still has a greenish tint to it. FC was 18 last night and 10 this morning so I added another gallon of bleach. Pool has some bubbles / foaming - is this normal? Will it subside?

There is no visible algae so I will continue the process until all 3 criteria are met.

Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by davevt98

I'm not sure but Austin rates are very high. Going to drain most of it and just get this manageable.
    austin water isnt that high. Just make sure you call the city so they dont charge you sewer as well.

between 10-11k it is 10/ 1000 gal, $12/1000 gal for above 20K. So maybe $70-90 for half your pool
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

11. Back To Top    #11

Update. Thanks for everyone's help. I drained, refilled, and performed the shock process and passed the OCLT and CC tests. Water is clear and pool is looking perfect. FC was at 14 yesterday so I am waiting till hopefully this weekend to get in the pool once FC levels have subsided. So far, BBB has worked and I am going to be buying more bleach today. I'm hoping not to have to do the shock process again.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by davevt98
    Update. Thanks for everyone's help. I drained, refilled, and performed the shock process and passed the OCLT and CC tests. Water is clear and pool is looking perfect. FC was at 14 yesterday so I am waiting till hopefully this weekend to get in the pool once FC levels have subsided. So far, BBB has worked and I am going to be buying more bleach today. I'm hoping not to have to do the shock process again.
    you might want to look at a stenner pump to automatically add chlorine. I got tired of adding bleach every day. Auto adding the bleach will reduce the chance that you will get lazy and not add chlorine.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

13. Back To Top    #13

It is safe to swim when the FC levels are below shock level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by joshs2000ss
    Yes
    Josh I believe jblizzle was answering the question if it was safe to swim at or below shock level not asking if it is safe.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs2000ss
    Yes
    Josh I believe jblizzle was answering the question if it was safe to swim at or below shock level not asking if it is safe.
    Ha, yeah, now that I re-read that, it makes a difference if you switch the it and the is...

Either way, it's still safe.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

17. Back To Top    #17

I've been around long enough to not ask that question
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

i always raise my FC to 10-15 before a big party on my indoor pool, it never gets cloudy during use, and 2 hours after the party I use a bag of the chlorine free shock to break up the CC thats in the pool

never had any issues or complaints of burning eyes, I also swim and my suits are all fine also, even my wife who is sensitive to chlorine does not have any issues.

last party took the FC from 5 to 15 2 hours before the party, after the party i had 6FC and 8CC, I shocked and had 13FC and 2CC, I let it run over night with the cover off and had

12FC and 0CC in the morning.
    INDOOR POOL
    10,000 gallon Fiberglass 12x28
    Sand filter
    Hayward 50K HeatPump
    BBB since JAN-2013

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Nice post, turbo. You have an excellent knowledge of your pool.

I like that non-chlorine shock to clear it out after a heavy load. A bit pricey and chlorine will still do the job but that's a nice, neat way of getting your pool in shape quickly
    Dave S.

20. Back To Top    #20

Just curious, how does Chlorine Free shock work? I thought it was the chlorine that was needed to shock a pool.
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast