What should I do next.

May 11, 2013
Central New York
I am a new pool owner. My pool was installed late last year, so it was never opened and closed late and unforntunately had many leaves in it.
I now have it opened and shocked (sodium Dichloro-s-Tri) the pool. I also have vacuumed a lot of debris from the pool. I have the filter running 24/7 for about 24 hours now. I have 2 test kits neither one very good as I found out today. The 6 way combo has the FC-6, TC-4, TA-90, PH-7.4, CH 50. The other test kit is a titration (I think) it test for FC-10+ and PH-6.8. I don't no my CYA, but all I've added is the shock.
The water is still pretty cloudy, I can see the bottom of the shallow end but not the deep end.
Should I add something to bring the PH back up or should I let it run for another day and see. Its been cloudy for the last 2 days and we have a cold spell coming.

Thankyou to everyone that contributes to this site, what a valuable resource.
Eric

The water looks pretty cloudy. I definately need the TFT test kit. I added like 4 bags of shock because the water was dirty from construction and not being covered soon enough in the fall, because the concrete was poured late October, and the chlorine level was 0. I was alarmed because the PH level seemed low. On the one test kit, I dont see how total chlorine can be less than free chlorine??

Cheap test kits. If I am still getting debris when I vacuum, should I shock again, or just keep vacuuming. The difficult part is I can't see the bottom of the deep end. I truly believe FC is above 10, but again I don't know CYA. So until I know cya, I guess I just don't know anything. Any other way to know cya? Man I hate asking stupid questions that can't be answered. Now I'm rambling. I hope this pool stuff gets better. It would help if the water was clear and I could see the bottom.

You should read up in pool school, a link at the top of the page. You should do that while your are chilling out! Once you understand some of the basics like shocking your pool you will feel not so overwhelmed. You can get the water clear and it would help to know CYA levels, can you order a test kit? I would keep trying to get everything out of the pool that you can, it all consumes chlorine. Welcome!

harleysilo said:
You should read up in pool school, a link at the top of the page. You should do that while your are chilling out! Once you understand some of the basics like shocking your pool you will feel not so overwhelmed. You can get the water clear and it would help to know CYA levels, can you order a test kit? I would keep trying to get everything out of the pool that you can, it all consumes chlorine. Welcome!
^ what he said.

Eric_357 said:
Thanks, test kits on order. TF-100.
Good choice. That's the first step on the road to success in getting a sparkling pool.

One of the basic things we teach here is that shocking is a process, not a product. Once you run your first complete set of tests with the TF-100, you will have all the information you need to determine if you need to shock (sounds likely at this point) and, if so, how to do it properly.

Eric_357 said:
PH-7.4...Should I add something to bring the PH back up or should I let it run for another day and see.
I would leave it alone until you run your first set of tests with the TF-100. If you need to shock, I would actually lower pH to between 7.0 and 7.2 before you begin the shock process. This makes the chlorine more aggressive as a sanitizer. Then, once you begin the shock process, ignore pH - don't even test it - until you are done shocking and the FC drops below shock level. Shock level FC can skew the pH test and you may over-compensate in adusting it during the shock process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.