Mud in Above Gr Pool

mht07

May 11, 2013
We haven't used our pool for the past 2 years because of a family illness. We want to use it this year but there is mud in the bottom. We put in a new liner 3 years ago but our old cover split and allowed the leaves in. Trees next to the pool are now gone but the sludge and wildlife remain. Our neighbor who helped for 10 years has moved. How do we clean our pool so we can use it this year? We are both seniors and my husband is not "handy". We do have some young hands who will help if we can figure out the best thing to do. Suggestions please?

Appreciate the response. Unfortunately, this is way beyond algae, which we've dealt w/ before. What we have is 2 years worth of broken down leaves/debris, frogs, etc. The water is not green but brown. We're figuring there are a few inches of sludge on the bottom of the pool. I'm thinking we need to remove that (pump?) before proceeding w/ cleaning the water. We have no idea what kind of pump would be needed or how to proceed.

Welcome! :wave:

Tempting as it sounds to drain it, you don't want to empty a vinyl pool or the liner may wrinkle.

Pulling out the chunks calls for a leaf rake.
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

and a lot of this:
hdr_1_1_1_header_b.gif

and some inspiration:
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
another-green-swamp-for-you-guys-t46450.html pics on page 1 &4 are worth a look

And we like pictures. Lots of pictures.

Looked this up and I see why you recommend this heavier rake for our problem. I'm thinking this might take awhile to fully clean because every time we make a pass across the bottom, everything will be stirred up. We're prepared for slow process. We REALLY appreciate the help and suggestions from all!

It's a lot of hard work! You'll be amazed at how the water clears once you get the debris off the bottom and start shocking the pool. Good Luck and post pictures! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.