Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mud in Above Gr Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Mud in Above Gr Pool

We haven't used our pool for the past 2 years because of a family illness. We want to use it this year but there is mud in the bottom. We put in a new liner 3 years ago but our old cover split and allowed the leaves in. Trees next to the pool are now gone but the sludge and wildlife remain. Our neighbor who helped for 10 years has moved. How do we clean our pool so we can use it this year? We are both seniors and my husband is not "handy". We do have some young hands who will help if we can figure out the best thing to do. Suggestions please?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mud in Above Gr Pool

The steps in this article Turning your Green Swamp into a Sparkling Oasis:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/turni...sis-t4147.html

Should be followed to the letter - you will have a clean pool if you do.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Appreciate the response. Unfortunately, this is way beyond algae, which we've dealt w/ before. What we have is 2 years worth of broken down leaves/debris, frogs, etc. The water is not green but brown. We're figuring there are a few inches of sludge on the bottom of the pool. I'm thinking we need to remove that (pump?) before proceeding w/ cleaning the water. We have no idea what kind of pump would be needed or how to proceed.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Tempting as it sounds to drain it, you don't want to empty a vinyl pool or the liner may wrinkle.

Pulling out the chunks calls for a leaf rake.

and a lot of this:

and some inspiration:
    a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
    another-green-swamp-for-you-guys-t46450.html pics on page 1 &4 are worth a look

And we like pictures. Lots of pictures.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I think you're right ...slow and steady wins the race!

6. Back To Top    #6

I would suggest going with a heavy duty leaf rake - google it - they cost more but they are sooo much easier to work with and worth the $$
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Looked this up and I see why you recommend this heavier rake for our problem. I'm thinking this might take awhile to fully clean because every time we make a pass across the bottom, everything will be stirred up. We're prepared for slow process. We REALLY appreciate the help and suggestions from all!

8. Back To Top    #8

It's a lot of hard work! You'll be amazed at how the water clears once you get the debris off the bottom and start shocking the pool. Good Luck and post pictures!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

That sounds encouraging! Thanks