Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New here, and in need of some advice please!

1. Back To Top    #1

New here, and in need of some advice please!

Hi there! We ordered the Zanzibar 18ft round above ground pool kit from, and are trying to put it all together ourselves. We have the pool up, the skimmer fitted, and now we are looking at the sand filter that came with the package, and I have to say, we are feeling pretty stumped! I've been hunting around for an age trying to find out exactly which model we have because the instructions seem pretty generic and very vague! It is from Pentair, the big round tank says Sand Dollar, and the product number actually brings up a different product on their website ?!? This is the link to what I believe is our product:
    The number on the tank says 145360C, which isn't listed for this product in the specs, but if I search it on their site, it takes me to a Cristal-Flo unit, and both say they take 150lb sand so i'm hoping that's right
    I know with these pressurized filters you have to install it absolutely right, so does anyone know if there are some good, specific instructions for this type of product?

The instructions in the booklet (pdf for this is also on that site) just don't seem comprehensive enough to put this all together - the tank, the fitting on top and the pump, i'm scared we will do something horribly wrong!

Any help or advice gratefully received!

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: New here, and in need of some advice please!

Sorry, that's the best I can do.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New here, and in need of some advice please!

Yep, 150 lbs of sand. It must be #20 silica sand, sometimes labeled pool filter sand.

Before filling with sand you fill it about half full of water and put in the plastic pipe cover/sand guide thing so the sand does not go down the central pipe. Remove the pipe cover/sand guide before putting the cover/multi-port valve on. The clamp is fairly self explanatory.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School