Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Long sweep 90 pressure fittings???

1. Back To Top    #1

Long sweep 90 pressure fittings???

Do they make long sweep sch 40 pressure fittings? i have read here about folks using them, but don't know where you get them. I am getting parts together to re-plumb my equipment and was going to check into this before I bought normal sharp 90 fittings.

Thanks,
    David
    20' x 38' x 40' Lagoon, 38K Gal, Vinyl, Aqua Plus control, SuperFlow 2 hp pump, 3.7 sqft sand filter, T-15 SWG
    2 ColorLogic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 280, TF-100 test kit, Finished in September 2012
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Long sweep 90 pressure fittings???

This is what I used. Got them from Lowes.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Uh-oh! Time to stir up the hornets nest a bit. The are DWV 90's and not sched 40. Many here on the forum recommend that ONLY sched 40 be used. My personal take is that while DWV fittings are certainly not as strong, they are adequate for a pool.

I have put on my helmet and am hiding under the desk waiting for the verbal beating I am about to take!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Uh-oh! Time to stir up the hornets nest a bit.
    Interested to see how this pans out. Yes it may not have a NSF-PW rating but it has worked for me. Might look into changing it if my pump will ever go out. Fingers crossed.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

5. Back To Top    #5

I've used those on the intake side for a few years and have not had any problems. I have gotten sch 40 sweep fittings here flexpvc.com . and use those on the pressure side. Look under PVC-Elbows-90-Sweeps
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

DWV fittings are not as impact resistant as schedule 40 so as long as you don't whack them or have water hammer, then they are probably ok. But I wouldn't put them on my plumbing.

Also, replacing all the 90s in the plumbing with swept 90s doesn't change head loss by a lot. In most plumbing, it is at best a 1% change. If you are only changing the pad plumbing, it is much less than that. If you really want to change head loss, increase the pipe size. That has much more impact. A change from 2" to 2.5" results in a head loss decrease of about 9% and a flow rate increase of about 7%.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

If you really wanted sweep fittings, you could go to the electrical conduit aisle and get some of the gray SCH40 sweep 90s there. It's the same stuff as the white pipe.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the replies. I now have the sources for everything I need except unions. I found some Hayward unions on Amazon, but I'm not sure if they are the compact versions or not. Anyone have a good source or part # for compact unions? Lowe's only sells the huge unions and the I.D. looks small to me.
    20' x 38' x 40' Lagoon, 38K Gal, Vinyl, Aqua Plus control, SuperFlow 2 hp pump, 3.7 sqft sand filter, T-15 SWG
    2 ColorLogic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 280, TF-100 test kit, Finished in September 2012
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2