Pentair Intelliflo SVRS Sucks! (and not literally)

bcobb

Jul 24, 2011
Northern KY
Hello TFP family!
I don't post much, mostly lurking. Just for clarification, I actually don't think the Pentair pump sucks...just the SVR System itself. ;-)

I'm hoping someone can give me some tips on my Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS pump with the ever-so annoying SVRS. When I want to vacuum my pool out (especially now being the beginning of the season), I always find myself fighting with the SVRS. I usually end up walking the line between high enough RPM's (usually around 2200 rpms) and shutting off just the right amount of returns to actually be able to pull water through my vacuum; all without setting off the SVRS. I have 2 returns and one main drain, so what I usually do is leave the main drain open, close off one return and vacuum from my other return. So I s-l-o-w-l-y close the one return as to not set of the SVRS. Then I go and grab my vacuum and start. I usually get to vacuum about 30 seconds before the Dang pump shuts off.

From there, it's a back and forth game until it finally just keeps vacuuming without shutting off. I don't do anything different when it works compared to when it shuts off. It's just a very, very touchy system. So two questions:

1.) Is there any way to shut off the SVRS system so that I can vacuum (I believe I've asked Pentair this and they said no. Of course they have to say no.)?

2.) Any tips for me from anyone who has one of these pumps?

Thanks in advance, you all rock!
-Bryan

bcobb:

I can see where that would be annoying.

According to this web page from the Pentair site, the SVRS cannot be turned off http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/products/product.php?id=76.

It may be a defect on your particular pump. If it's under warranty, I would place a service call. If that doesn't solve it, I would look into exchanging it for a VS without the SVRS feature or for a simpler 2-speed pump. I would pull these levers sooner rather than later to keep you in a good bargaining position.

Thanks for your reply BoDarville!
I was hoping someone would possibly tell me something that Pentiar won't..mainly that there is a way to turn off the SVRS. I guess I could swap it out for a VS...the original purpose of the SVRS unit was to meet code (Virginia Graeme Baker Act stuff). If it's under warranty still, I'll call Pentiar...I just assumed the pump is operating normally.

Anyone else have personal experience with one of these or another SVRS pump?

Hi swimcmp,
This is not a commercial pool, it is residential...however our local building code here in Boone County, KY forces us to comply with this act. Either way, my pump is definitely SVRS because of code. I'm hoping someone else on here has an SVRS pump and has some tips for me. LIke I said, I believe it is operating by design.
Thanks!
-Bryan

Unfortunately I know more about this pump than did my installer. :-(

I think I have this finally figured out and it was quite a bit of common sense. Since the pump senses pressure differential, all I needed to do was to set the pump up the way I wanted it from the off state. When the pump is turned on, it enters the priming mode for about 20 seconds on high rpm's to pull enough water in to prime the pump. During prime, SVRS is not functional. So once it starts pulling a lot of water, but it still priming, I shut off everything but my vacuum, wait for the pump to stop priming and them I'm set. No changes in pressure and I can vacuum now at any RPM. Now I've only had time to successfully try this once or twice, but it should continue to work.

Hope this may help someone else!
-Bryan

Bryan, I just made an account to thank you for figuring this out. I wanted the pentair pump because it was a full variable speed motor, and I didn't realize that I ordered the SVRS model until I tried to vacuum with it. Unfortunately by that point it was too late to swap it out.

I spent quite a while fighting with it the first time I tried to vacuum.

I have tested this thoroughly and just wanted to add that while this method does indeed work, you have to power cycle the pump. Simply using the start/stop button on the keypad does not allow you to vacuum the pool, as the motor must store the operating pressure in memory that only gets reset on power cycle.

Thanks for figuring this out, save me quite the headache.

PC

PC,
Glad I could help and thanks for taking the time to post. However I have to say, my method has not continued to work, although I haven't tried it in a while. I still find myself fighting the SVRS. However you mention power cycling the pump...do you mean that you shut the pump off, power cycle it and then use my "method"?
Thanks again,
-Bryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
According to the Intelliflo documentation, the SVRS should not trigger unless the vacuum reaches 25" Hg. and that is an extremely high vacuum level (near cavitation). So a normal vacuum shouldn't trigger that unless there is too much flow sent through the vacuum.

First I would check to make sure that the SVRS is not triggering below 25".

If that is ok, then I would close all suction ports off except the one for the cleaner and then slowly ramp up the pump speed until the vacuum starts working properly. That point should be well below 25" Hg. If not, there might be something wrong with the vacuum.

Hi Mark!
Thanks for chiming in. Unfortunately I'm an IT guy and not an engineer so I'll have to do a little research on the subject. I had always thoughts that it senses pressure differential over very short time periods (seconds, milli-seconds), however from what you said it appears that it has a single pressure threshold (25hg or around 12psi).

I think what may be happening is that when I start closing off returns (and main drain), it can't pull enough water in which I'm guessing skyrockets the pressure. Would that seem right?
Thanks!
-Bryan

Yes, but you can compensate with lower RPM too. But the bottom line is that your cleaner should not need a 25" Hg. suction to work properly. So the way I would approach the problem is to drop the pump RPM to a very low value. Then close off all but the cleaner ports and then step up the RPM until the cleaner works or the suction gauge reads 20" or so. If the cleaner does not work at that suction level, then there must be something wrong with the cleaner.

Thanks again Mark. I'll try low rpm and step it up. And the cleaner I usually use is simply and open ended hose! I'm a diver/cleaner. ;-)

With the cold weather here I won't be diving and cleaning so I'll just be using a standard vac head to clean. I'll let you know how I do with lower rpm's. Thanks again,
-Bryan

bcobb said:
And the cleaner I usually use is simply and open ended hose! I'm a diver/cleaner. ;-)
Ok so you really shouldn't need to close off any ports. Is the suction that low that it doesn't suck up anything?

Well, I have 2 returns and one main drain. So I usually completely shut off one return, hook my vac line up to the other return and leave the main drain open (if I don't leave main drain open the SVRS kicks in immediately). With this setup, I have to run the pump at over 2000 rpms to see enough suction (usually 2200). Sometimes I try to partially close the main drain and that helps with suction, but I'm playing SVRS roulette. Usually closing the main drain more than 1/8 of a quarter turn triggers the SVRS.

Hope that made sense!
-Bryan

First, let's clarify terms. "Returns" are the pipes that return pool water back to the pool and not the suction ports. What you are describing are probably the skimmers that connect to the suction lines.

But you shouldn't need to close off the other suction ports that much to get good suction from the hose. Have you tried to use the other skimmer?

Also, are you using a vacuum head? If you did, the vacuum might work much better and not require as much suction to suck up debris.

Sorry, you're right, I was using the wrong terms (which I actually knew, just having a long day)! So yes, I close off one skimmer and use the other. I haven't tried using the other skimmer but I'll give that a shot. Good idea. To answer your question, most of this summer I didn't use a vac head as I just dive down with the hose and suck stuff up.

Without closing off the other skimmer, I would probably have almost no suction running the pump at or near 2500rpms. But let me verify that hopefully this weekend!
Thanks for your time Mark, I'll keep you posted!
-Bryan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.