Hayward HP21404 vs Heat Siphon 575HP

Bosqueboy

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Amherst, VA
My old propane heater is on its last legs and I plan to replace it with a heat pump. I've narrowed the choice down to two candidates...the Hayward HP21404 and the Heat Siphon 575HP.

I am a DIY sort of person and am really impressed with the videos on YouTube for diagnosing and repairing the Heat Siphon. They would make it easy to maintain the Heat Siphon myself.

Does anyone know of similarly detailed information (manual/videos) for servicing/repairing the Hayward heat pumps? :?:

We bought a home with an older Heat Siphon (SX5.0HP) unit. We were told it didn't work, and the home inspection stated it didn't work, but no one knew why it didn't work.

I'm a DIYer had my multi meter and decided to do some checking. There is a 3 minute lockout on the unit. Low and behold it works, and works well. No complaints.

Yep, the Heat Siphon appears to be very easy to work on with most components within very easy reach. I'm not sure that the videos on YouTube are meant for the DIYer or only for their certified service people. Be that as it may, their diagnostic video and the subsequent repair videos would make it easy for even a novice DIYer to maintain and repair one of their units. After watching them, the only repair that I would call a professional HVAC man for would be the compressor change out.

I wish I could come across similar diagnostic and service material for the Haywards.

ps0303 said:
I would think that the units would have fairly common components. So, you should be able to repair the Hayward just as easily as the Heat Siphon.

I'm sure you are right. I was just very impressed with the video support of the Heat Siphon units with a fellow on the video saying "remove the screws holding the cover over the faceplate..." Someone had gone to considerable lengths to make sure that anyone could test for a failure of the water pressure switch or the refrigerant low pressure switch and replace the failed component...and the same for all the other likely component problems. Anyone with an analog version of the Heat Siphon and access to YouTube and a modicum of DIY knowhow, should have no trouble at all solving most problems with their units. IMNSHO, any manufacturer who does this will enhance their sales to DIY types...but probably at a cost of lost income for sales/service centers. Difficult decision for a manufacturer, but an easy one for a DIYer. :-D

After a lot of heming and hawing, to and froing, I finally bit the bullet and went for the Heat Siphon C575HP. It was less than $500 more than the Hayward. This is the analog version with one fewer expensive parts to go wrong. The rather extensive series of videos on servicing this unit vs the paucity of information on the Hayward was a major factor in my decision making. The second thing was the excellent COP ratings of the Heat Siphon.

The 60 Amp service was run out to the pool today and the heat pump order placed with Discount Pool Supplies and Spa Supplies in Auburn, NY. Hope to have the unit delivered in a few days and be up and running in a week or so. Just in the nick of time as my ancient Hayward propane money burner is on its last legs. Actually it still works, I just hate to watch it burn my money!!! I use propane to run the whole house furnace and a set of gas logs in the winter, but when I tried to keep the pool warm with propane...I could see the dollar signs rolling over in my propane guys eyes.

I like to fix my own stuff whenever possible. Changing a failed capacitor is no big deal. Replacing a contactor with burned contacts is easy. Time delay relays, ditto. High and low pressure valve and water pressure valve failures are easily solved with minimal hand-holding. Just give me a decent service manual or a set of videos and I'm happy to repair stuff...after the warranty expires! :-D About the only thing that I wouldn't tackle would be a freon leak or a failed compressor. That I would happily leave to the professionals.

I'll be very interested to see how the Heat Siphon works here in central Virginia where I try to have the pool swimmable from May through September. The propane money burner has the pool temps up to the mid 80s, so the heat pump will be coasting until September.

More later....

Bosqueboy, let u sknow how things look when you get the unit... and how you like it. I am looking at the Z700 and a few other manufacturers (Gulfstream, Pentair).

jtech1 said:
Bosqueboy, let u sknow how things look when you get the unit... and how you like it. I am looking at the Z700 and a few other manufacturers (Gulfstream, Pentair).
I'll definitely do that. However, delivery of all 575 and 700 units is delayed while their "Just in time" delivery of thermal expansion valves is accomplished. Art Ryan of Discount Pool and Spa Supplies, from whom I ordered the C575HP is embarrassed that he can't provide the super quick delivery that he has in the past. It's certainly not his fault. Art suggests that the popularity of the Heat Siphon line is increasing at a faster rate than the factory had planned for. Whatever...I'm disappointed as my old Hayward propane eating heater is working intermittently now and "she who must be obeyed" is annoyed...and that's never a good situation. Still, if the valve supplier delivers the goods, shipment of my unit is scheduled for Monday, June 10.

The 220 volt service has been installed, so after I receive the Heat Siphon, I'll need to have a plumber disconnect the propane line, cap it and install the new unit. A quick call ( I hope ) to the electrician to make the final connection and ( fingers crossed ) I'll begin taking notes for a report here.

The Heat Siphon was shipped a few days ago and was scheduled to be delivered yesterday to my home by a straight truck. I got a call from the driver who was in a tractor trailer rig. No way he could get that into my drive way or even turn around on the "highway" in front of the house! A quick call to their customer relations person resulted in an apology and an admission that it was all their fault. However, since the trucking company only sends a straight truck out to the wilds of central Virginia on Mondays, I'm still waiting for my Heat Siphon...until next Monday rolls around....maybe.

If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. :cry:

Finally! The Heat Siphon C575HP has arrived and was plumbed in day before yesterday and wired up yesterday morning. Start up tests were all concluded satisfactorily and with the pool already at 80 degrees, I only saw the Heat Siphon run for about an hour and a half before it cut off at the desired 83 degrees. A hot sun kept the pool nice and warm and the heat pump didn't come on again until this morning. Once again the pool needed only about an hour or so to get to the cut off point. Today, however, the sky is overcast and the ambient temp is in the mid 70s, so the pump has come on, at least once for an hour or so.

There is no problem telling that the unit is working as the air coming out the top is much cooler than the ambient air! Thanks to the titanium heat exchanger, my pool guy was able to simplify the plumbing by eliminating a check valve that had been used to protect the old propane heater.

So far, so good and I must say that I'm impressed with the quality of the unit. The real test, of course, will be in the fall when outside temps begin to fall and the heat pump has to work a little harder. Right now it is coasting. I think the only person unhappy with this deal is my propane supplier. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.