Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing seal and seat

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing seal and seat

I'm replacing a USQ 1152 on a Pentair Pinnacle PF-II. I have a couple of questions.

First, the manual http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/PinnacleOM.pdf shows on page 9 that the ceramic polished face of the seat should be up. I got that part no problem. Then it shows the seal with "carbon polished face" toward the seal, and "seal rubber ring" toward the impeller.

Here's what the seal looks like from the side:

Here's the "shiny side"

and here's the "dark side"

The "shiny side" is metal with a black rubber ring insert. The "dark side" is all hard plastic of some sort. Carbon?

First question: So which side goes toward the impeller, and which side rests against the ceramic ring of the seat? Is the hard plastic the "carbon polished face?"

Second question: The manual says to install the seat and the seal using "soapy water," while the instruction sheet that came with the replacement seal says use US SeaLube, a water-based formula, and to never use PTFE or silicone based lubricants. I can't find US SeaLube anywhere, and both pool stores say they use "Lube Tube", which is PTFE based, when installing new seals. Of course, I'm suspicious of what I hear from the pool stores.

Will soapy water suffice, or do I need to order some US SeaLube from US Seal to lubricate the seal?

All this work thanks to a snake crawling into the pump motor and shorting the capacitor when it kicked on the next morning. Here's a link to a pic of that; I don't want to post it directly since some people flip out at snakes. (me included)

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/DLSee ... 2.jpg.html

Thanks for any help you can give me. I need to get this thing running again ASAP.
    14,500 gallons, Clean and Clear 150 cartridge, IG, gunite, USQ 1152 1.5 hp motor (3450 rpm), Pentair Pinnacle Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing seal and seat

Shiny side (metal) goes against the impeller. The dark side (graphite, I think?) goes against the ceramic face.

As for lubricants, I used silicone. I can't imagine the same silicone that doesn't eat up rubber on o-rings will magically eat the rubber on the seals. You may want to wait for other opinions before you go against the instructions, though.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replacing seal and seat

Thanks for the info on the seal. I went ahead and ordered some Sealube just to play it safe.
    14,500 gallons, Clean and Clear 150 cartridge, IG, gunite, USQ 1152 1.5 hp motor (3450 rpm), Pentair Pinnacle Pump