d.e. in sand filter

Some people have good success with it. Many overdose at first.

Put in just enough so your psi rises by about 1. Start small.... depending on your filter, maybe 1/2 cup and then watch psi.

doctnj said:
True or not? If so how much do you use?

Your filter will tell you how much. Start small and watch the gauge for a 1 psi jump. If you put too much in just backwash it out and start again. Keep an eye on it. I helped my brother-in-law doing the same thing. Had a 1 psi jump, then several hours later it was 10 psi higher. After several cycles he only had very fine particles floating in front of the light at night.

jcowart said:
doctnj said:
True or not? If so how much do you use?

Your filter will tell you how much. Start small and watch the gauge for a 1 psi jump. If you put too much in just backwash it out and start again. Keep an eye on it. I helped my brother-in-law doing the same thing. Had a 1 psi jump, then several hours later it was 10 psi higher. After several cycles he only had very fine particles floating in front of the light at night.

Yes, in my experience, the DE will cause the filter to need a backwash much sooner which makes complete sense since it is catching many more particles since the smaller particles are no longer just passing through.

I mostly just use the DE about a week after I open the pool after most of the dead algae is filtered out, gives the water a more polished look. The DE is also very helpful after the pine trees dump a lot of pollen in the water. With regular BBB, I don't find that I need the DE very often, I've been dipping out the same 25 lb box for the past 4 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.