Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: d.e. in sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

d.e. in sand filter

I have heard that a little D.E. in your sand filter will help filter out fine particles. True or not? If so how much do you use?
    15,000 gallon, IG Diamond Brite plaster, Hayward Max Flo 1.5HP pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 100gpm cartridge filter. http://imgur.com/xHFxE

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: d.e. in sand filter

Some people have good success with it. Many overdose at first.

Put in just enough so your psi rises by about 1. Start small.... depending on your filter, maybe 1/2 cup and then watch psi.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by doctnj
    True or not? If so how much do you use?
    Your filter will tell you how much. Start small and watch the gauge for a 1 psi jump. If you put too much in just backwash it out and start again. Keep an eye on it. I helped my brother-in-law doing the same thing. Had a 1 psi jump, then several hours later it was 10 psi higher. After several cycles he only had very fine particles floating in front of the light at night.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

4. Back To Top    #4

As an example, I have a 22" 250 lb. filter. I add a quarter cup at a time directly into the skimmer and it usually takes 2 cups or so.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jcowart
    Quote Originally Posted by doctnj
    True or not? If so how much do you use?
    Your filter will tell you how much. Start small and watch the gauge for a 1 psi jump. If you put too much in just backwash it out and start again. Keep an eye on it. I helped my brother-in-law doing the same thing. Had a 1 psi jump, then several hours later it was 10 psi higher. After several cycles he only had very fine particles floating in front of the light at night.
    Yes, in my experience, the DE will cause the filter to need a backwash much sooner which makes complete sense since it is catching many more particles since the smaller particles are no longer just passing through.

I mostly just use the DE about a week after I open the pool after most of the dead algae is filtered out, gives the water a more polished look. The DE is also very helpful after the pine trees dump a lot of pollen in the water. With regular BBB, I don't find that I need the DE very often, I've been dipping out the same 25 lb box for the past 4 years.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I use it all the time. Works great. I have a 500 lbs filter and it usually takes 2 16 oz cups. Really makes a difference IMO.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves