Sand Filter - weird issue

May 5, 2013
Norwich, CT
Hi Guys,

A new issue has developed with my sand filter (I think it's the sand filter anyway).

Here's the problem: I put the sand filter in filter mode, and the PSI is 14 (it used to be 10, but I eliminated an air leak on the pump basket, so I'm assuming the filter pressure would rise due to lack of air?)

When I backwash, after the backwash is done, I hear and see sucking of air through the backwash line on the filter (i.e. it sucks the backwash line flat and I can hear air rushing in - it seems to be through the backwash output.)

I put the filter in rinse mode, rinse the filter, and put it in filter mode. Now, the past few times, turning the pump back on after backwash / rinse / filter - the pump has lost prime.

I'm perplexed, as I don't have any suction side leaks at this point in time, but since the filter is on the pressure side (And there aren't any leaks) I have no idea what could be causing this issue.

Thanks for your help in advance!
-Mike-

No, my equipment isn't above the water line that's why it's so strange that the pump would "suck in" after changing the multi-port valve positions. I did manage to rectify the issue, however. It seems that the multi-port valve gasket wasn't seated properly and for some reason, after fixing that issue, everything started to be kosher.

Now that I've amended that issue (and checked out the sand level while I was at it), the filter's running super.

However, another question:

Previously, prior to fixing the air leak on the pump basket, the filter was running at 10psi after a backflush and rinse. Now, with minimal air leakage (I still have about a 1" dia air bubble in the pump basket like most people have), the filter is running at 14psi after backwash and rinse.

The question is this: does it make sense that the filter pressure would rise after removing an air leak on the suction side? It seems to make sense to me, but I just need some confirmation from one of you wizards, as I'm used to seeing it at 10psi, so I want to make sure there aren't any issues with the water movement system now.

Thanks!
-Mike-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.