Apparently FIRE. Which came first the pump or the outlet?

Apr 30, 2013
I am a new pool owner, having bought a house in forclosure. I have a Hayward Powerflo LX 1.5 hp. I was opening the pool, vacumming with the filter set to "waste out", turned off the pump and needed to add more water before backwashing the filter. Everything seemed to be working fine up to this point. I left the hose running into the pool and went to the store with my husband. The pool got too full and water was running out over and down the skimmer basket. Alot of water ran over the ground toward the recepticle/outlet that the pump plugs into. It is on a raised hard plastic platform (three or so inches off the ground), with the filter and pump beside it. There is a plastic cover over the recepticle.

The next night, i attemped to turn on the pump to backwash and it didnt come on. Some water did splash onto the plastic base, because like a goof i tried to open the basket on the pump w/o draining it first and quickly put it back! The cover on the recepticle was closed. The pump basket was VERY full and emptied it. Pump still did not come on. No noise even, but water was rushing through it and out the waste hose from the filter. The light was on on the GFI so it was working, but i ran an extension cord from another working outlet just to make sure and the pump still didnt come on. i left the pump unplugged and looked for the solution online. Had i burnt up the pump by letting the basket get too full maybe?

I went outside tonight to get info from my pump about what kind it was and noticed that the outlet looked burnt up (black inside one of the outlets and a little of what looked and smelled like soot from smoke on the inside of the plastic cover. The breaker wasnt tripped.

Now i dont know if i overheated my the pump causing the outlet to catch on fire or if the outlet has shorted out, due to the water overflow and heavy rain for two weeks, and the short caused my pump a problem. Any thoughts on what has occured?

The outlet obviously needs to be fixed, and moved up off the platform to higher ground probably, but do i risk plugging the pump back into the new one to see if it is salvagable?

Re: Apparently FIRE. Which came first the pump or the outlet

You mention a light on the GFCI that makes me think you have a GFCI Outlet,, which means only the load side would be protected against ground fault if water were to get into the outlet, not the line side, a better solution here would be to have GFCI breaker in the breaker box, that way if water were to splash into the outlet all the wiring at the outlet would be ground fault protected, not just the plug in. Secondly you need a splash proof outlet cover in wet locations like this, one where you have the thread the cord through a splash resistant cover, either that or have the pump hard wired directly to a GFCI breaker.

Re: Apparently FIRE. Which came first the pump or the outlet

Now pump sems to be fine. I hooked it up to an extension cord and another outlet and it is working again!Crazy! I will have an electrician move and replace the GFCI and ask him about your suggestion, Isaac. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.