Please double-check my numbers

kplb4

Jun 14, 2012
East Tennessee
This is my second season with TFP. Last year we bought a house with a neglected pool. Being totally frustrated by the ineffective and very expensive pool store suggestions, and becoming disgusted by the chemical soup we were concocting in our pool, I desperately began searching for help after my husband threatened to call a cement truck to fill in the pool. He was serious. TFP helped me turn our thick, dark green, smelly frog swamp into sparkling clear water. Thank you!

Last year I was just content with no longer having a frog swamp, but was challenged by keeping up with the daily-ness of testing, brushing, and hauling bleach. (We traveled a lot and have an erratic schedule.) This year I plan to stay on top of it so that I do not have to shock again. Last year, it took a tremendous amount of work. This year, I want to enjoy our pool more.

Last month, about two weeks too warm, I pulled off the disintegrating cover and saw slightly cloudy, slightly greenish water. I scooped leaves, vacuumed to waste, brushed, and began a week-long shock process. I was unable to test and re-chlorinate as often as I should have, so it's taking longer than it might have, and it's not quite finished. I'll be at home tomorrow, so I'll be able to check levels more frequently. The water looks clear, though it sparkled more last year than it did today.

Here are my numbers from 10pm this evening:
FC 16.5
CC 1
pH 7.2
TA 70
CYA 50

Sorry for the long intro. Here are my questions:

Do the numbers look good?

We have full sun all day on the pool. What CYA level is best? There seems to be a significant difference between 30 and 50.

Poolcalculator suggests FC range of 4-8 with CYA at 50. How do I determine where within that range to keep FC level?

For that matter, how does one determine where to land within any of the ranges? I've skipped quite a few hours of sleep over the past week by reading the forum, but I haven't discovered the answer to this question, except pertaining to eye irritation for pH.

Maybe I need to just take a deep breath and not borrow trouble from tomorrow. But I see no need to reinvent the wheel or do unnecessary trial and error, when more knowledgeable people than I probably have the answers to my questions.

Thank you, knowledgeable people!

kplb4 said:
Do the numbers look good?
Yes. Your CC>1 confirms that you should be doing the shocking process (as you are).

kplb4 said:
We have full sun all day on the pool. What CYA level is best? There seems to be a significant difference between 30 and 50.
50 should be fine.

kplb4 said:
Poolcalculator suggests FC range of 4-8 with CYA at 50. How do I determine where within that range to keep FC level?
View 4 as a minimum and 8 as a maximum. Of course do not go down to that level until you pass all three end of shocking criteria (in my sig).

kplb4 said:
For that matter, how does one determine where to land within any of the ranges? I've skipped quite a few hours of sleep over the past week by reading the forum, but I haven't discovered the answer to this question, except pertaining to eye irritation for pH.
As you get a feel for your pool, you will discover where yours needs to be. For now just get inside the recommended levels, then go from there. It helps many to post there results even after they are done with the shocking process to get feedback on what to adjust. Pretty soon it becomes quite simple and not time consuming.

Along with what linen said +

AFTER you have completed the shock process and start maintenance FC, it should be an easy task.

With a CYA of 50, you want to keep the FC between 4 and 8 and never below 4.

Each evening, after the sun is off the pool, add enough bleach/liquid chlorine to raise FC to 8. Most pools use about 2.5ppm daily, so the next night the FC should be around 5ish and you would again raise the FC to about 8.

This nightly testing and addition is where you will get to know your pool. It may use more or less FC than other pools, and you will adjust the FC accordingly.

Like the others have said. Your FC range is just that. 4 would be a minimum. Each pool has it's own personality and once you learn what it wants, it becomes easy. My pool sees FULL southeast Texas sun from rise to set. With a CYA 30 I drop about 3ppm a day. With it at 50 I drop 2ppm. I can also best guess by the cloud cover what the drop was. I work a 24 hour shift so I know I need to get FC in every two to three days. With a higher CYA your FC range is higher. It really only comes into play when your need to shock, but once you get that CC down and you pass all three parts of the shock process your good to go. Just stay on top of it so you don't have to shock again. Your test kit and pool calculator are your best friend....along with this forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.