Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice for new (soon to be) above ground pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Lathrop, CA

Advice for new (soon to be) above ground pool owner

New to this forum.. Was hoping to get some advice on what sized pool to get. I know I want round, but not sure if an 18' x54" would work.. Mostly it will be 4 of us here, 2 adults and 2 kids, sometimes 3.. I may want to entertain a fairly small group of 10-12 people and not sure how many people could comfortably fit in a 18' round x 54" deep pool.. Would a 21' be that much better? I don't anticipate all 12 people in the pool at one time however would like to see what a 18' versus 21' could hold. Thank you!
    Danielle - Lathrop, CA
    Doughboy Oval 16 x 32

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Advice for new (soon to be) above ground pool owner

Welcome to tfp, dani1966

Almost no one regrets going bigger. If you will have 10-12 people in the pool at the same time, I am not sure that would work well even in a 21' pool. I have a 21 and we have had 10 kids in there at once, but it is crowded.

18X54 is 7600 gallons

21X54 is 10400 gallons
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW PA

Re: Advice for new (soon to be) above ground pool owner

If you have the space, go with the biggest you can fit with the smallest being 24'. I always had 4 or more kids and a dog in the pool at any given time and it was comfortable. Here is my 24' with 5 kids playing in it.

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter