Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can this be used to raise CH level?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can this be used to raise CH level?

I was wondering if pellitized lime, usually used for lawns, can be used in a plaster pool to raise CH level. Here's a picture of the ingredients. I bought it in Lowes for $4.49 for 40 lbs. That's 1/20 the price of the calcium increaser sold in pool stores.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21K - marcite - inground - Autopilot 48 SWG - 240 sq ft Pentair filter - 2hp 2sp Pentair pump - solar heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can this be used to raise CH level?

No, using that is not a good idea. First, there is too much magnesium, and second it is going to raise the PH significantly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not worried about the rise in pH because I can lower it with MA.
    I'm worried about stains or damaging my SWG.
    I thought magnesium was beneficial in preventing scale?
    Please read the post below:
    a-potential-aid-to-calcium-scale-t55752.html

Thanks for any advice.
    21K - marcite - inground - Autopilot 48 SWG - 240 sq ft Pentair filter - 2hp 2sp Pentair pump - solar heater

4. Back To Top    #4

It's calcium carbonate so in a pool that is already mostly saturated with calcium carbonate it's going to take a long time to dissolve. It would be similar to adding a combination of calcium chloride to raise calcium hardness along with sodium carbonate to raise both pH and TA. It's that latter part that will go up substantially and that you don't want. Even if you add acid to keep the pH down, your TA will go way up. And yes, you could lower that with substantial effort using more acid and aeration, but really this isn't a good idea. Just get some calcium chloride if you need to raise the CH -- it's relatively inexpensive if you get the Peladow or Dowflake as described in the Pool School.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"