SWG - Can I trust it to tell me the Salt Level?

jewing

May 5, 2013
I have a SWG system. Can I trust the reading on it for my salt level or do I have to have a special test kit for salt? I have the Taylor K-2006 but it doesn't test salt. Please advise.

I most situations the salt reading from the SWG is more reliable than the salt test. The main time you really need a separate test kit is when you suspect that the SWG cell is failing. When the cell is starting to fail it will read the salt lower than actual, and if you add salt to compensate you will end up with your salt level way too high. If there isn't any reason to suspect the cell of wearing out, this won't come up and there is no great need for a separate salt test.

In my short experience with a SWCG I can tell you my controller is anything but reliable. I have a Hayward AquaRite controller hooked up to a T15 cell and in the few weeks it has been installed I have had to recallibrate it no less than 3 times. I have added salt and seen the numbers actually drop 300-400 points within a day. After recallibrating it will usually jump about 1000 points up. Perhaps I just got a bad one?

I have a Taylor Salt Water test kit on its way here so I can routinely check my salt levels.

Nope. I asked the pool guy that installed it specifically if I should do that (because I couldn't understand having to recallibrate it), and he said to leave it on. If I should be doing that I'll definitely be sure to turn it off next time.

Would not hurt. Prevents damage due to varying levels of salt ... specifically high salt which could cause surges.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.