Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG - Can I trust it to tell me the Salt Level?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG - Can I trust it to tell me the Salt Level?

I have a SWG system. Can I trust the reading on it for my salt level or do I have to have a special test kit for salt? I have the Taylor K-2006 but it doesn't test salt. Please advise.
    18 x 40 inground pool, 27,000 gallons Built in 2012. Vinyl with a SWG. SwimClear cartridge filter by Hayward C3030, Aqua Rite SWG T-Cell 15. Hayward SP2610X15.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG - Can I trust it to tell me the Salt Level?

I most situations the salt reading from the SWG is more reliable than the salt test. The main time you really need a separate test kit is when you suspect that the SWG cell is failing. When the cell is starting to fail it will read the salt lower than actual, and if you add salt to compensate you will end up with your salt level way too high. If there isn't any reason to suspect the cell of wearing out, this won't come up and there is no great need for a separate salt test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. ONe more question. I just shocked my pool early this week and it is sparkling. I am at 2800 for salt when I add the salt required, will it cloud up the water at all?
    18 x 40 inground pool, 27,000 gallons Built in 2012. Vinyl with a SWG. SwimClear cartridge filter by Hayward C3030, Aqua Rite SWG T-Cell 15. Hayward SP2610X15.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have never seen salt cloud the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In my short experience with a SWCG I can tell you my controller is anything but reliable. I have a Hayward AquaRite controller hooked up to a T15 cell and in the few weeks it has been installed I have had to recallibrate it no less than 3 times. I have added salt and seen the numbers actually drop 300-400 points within a day. After recallibrating it will usually jump about 1000 points up. Perhaps I just got a bad one?

I have a Taylor Salt Water test kit on its way here so I can routinely check my salt levels.
    20 x 45 ft Roman Lazy L, 28k Gallons, Vinyl, Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter (600 lb), 1.5 HP pump + Booster pump for Polaris 280, Hayward Gas Heater H300, Hayward T-15 SWCG w/ AquaRite digital controller

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to turn the SWG off for 24 hours after adding salt, are you doing that?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Nope. I asked the pool guy that installed it specifically if I should do that (because I couldn't understand having to recallibrate it), and he said to leave it on. If I should be doing that I'll definitely be sure to turn it off next time.
    20 x 45 ft Roman Lazy L, 28k Gallons, Vinyl, Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter (600 lb), 1.5 HP pump + Booster pump for Polaris 280, Hayward Gas Heater H300, Hayward T-15 SWCG w/ AquaRite digital controller

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    You need to turn the SWG off for 24 hours after adding salt, are you doing that?
    So if your salt level is low and you add 1 40# bag you should turn off the swg for 24 hrs?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Would not hurt. Prevents damage due to varying levels of salt ... specifically high salt which could cause surges.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator