Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New improved Intex plunger valve

1. Back To Top    #1

New improved Intex plunger valve

Just stumbled upon the redesigned plunger valve.
    [attachment=0:m8tlgxje]10747_5.jpg[/attachment:m8tlgxje]

Does anyone have any experience with this? It looks like it might significantly improve water flow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Saltwater 8000 27' Round x 54". 17000 gallons
    Intex SWG
    Hayward Power Flo 3/4HP pump-Hayward Perflex EC40 DE Filter-Hayward
    H250 Natural gas Heater-My own gas well in back yard ;-)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New improved Intex plunger valve

Still looks somewhat restrictive to me.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

After turning mine to hard and breaking 2 tabs off the inside, I found it is less restrictive. My old intex plunger valves gate only really opened half way, where as the new plunger valve opens all the way.
    I broke it before I got to install it so Ive had an old valve on there.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Any PVC 90 degree fitting will flow far better than this "new" valve. Note the next time you are in Lowes or HD how the PVC ball valve completely open to allow 100% unobstructed flow. This is the only modification I made to my pool this year and the flow increase was night and day.......and I thought I had good flow with standard Intex intake and return stuff with 2650gph pump and hard plumbing. Replacing the plungers resulted in flow you would not believe.......I think I may have to much......yup, you read that right. I may starve the pump so I don't have a massive whirlpool (like I do now).

Bob

5. Back To Top    #5

Our brand new pool has these. They worked great in the off position, but when we turned them on with the pump on they sprayed water everywhere out of the top and jiggled Themselves into the closed position. We ended up removing them and just hooking the water/pump lines directly to the pool

I need to call the company.
    Intex 18 x 48 metal frame pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bbfarm
    Our brand new pool has these. They worked great in the off position, but when we turned them on with the pump on they sprayed water everywhere out of the top and jiggled Themselves into the closed position. We ended up removing them and just hooking the water/pump lines directly to the pool

I need to call the company.
    be sure the blue cap is tight, its the part under the knob to open/close
    16' Intex ultra frame, Intex sand pump 2650 gph, installed 6-5-2013, SWG, Hayward skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

There is no blue cap???

8. Back To Top    #8

maybe its grey,,,, the dark part....
    16' Intex ultra frame, Intex sand pump 2650 gph, installed 6-5-2013, SWG, Hayward skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

Mine were initially a little loose and also leaked for a moment. Just hand tightened the top cap and all was well. I like the new design. It seems to be sturdier than the old style. Time will tell.
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner

10. Back To Top    #10

just have this on my new 12/24/52" ultra frame.... i managed to break the old type valves on my old pool as they arent designed very well, so maybe these will be more durable.

they also have an air valve i think.

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't see how they can be tightened. The whole thing rotates. Can someone explain better?

They didn't just leak. Water was squinting out all over.

12. Back To Top    #12

Where was it squirting from? If from the connector nuts, make sure you have O-rings at each connection.

If from the handle portion, the cap that the handle goes through is threaded onto the body of the valve, and can be tightened.

If the leak persists, remove the valve from the pool and disassemble, to make sure the factory installed the internal O-rings properly. If all is well internally, lube the O-rings and reassemble, then try it again.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

It was squirting from under the gray part on top that the honeycomb looking thing is attached to

The o rings are there. Connections to the pool were tight and didn't leak. It didn't leak at all in the shut off mode. Just when we opened them up to let the water flow to and from the pump

Is there any real benefit to having these other than at filter changing time?

14. Back To Top    #14

We had the exact problem, the grey cap needs to be tightend, i didnt think it could be either at first but that is what needs to happen.
    Having a shut off is very benificial.

15. Back To Top    #15

I will try that. The gray cap turned with the honeycomb thing.

I will take another look at it. Thanks!

16. Back To Top    #16

yeah that is what mine did too until i got the cap tight

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks! That worked!

18. Back To Top    #18

I have these newer style valves on our new pool, and they are an infinite improvement over what I had with my old Intex, which was two wash clothes stuffed into the inlet and outlet every time I needed to clean the filter. I lost the plugs! I only recently connected my 3,000 gal./hour Hayward pump directly to both the outlet and inlet valves and they seem to have very little problem feeding the pump and keeping everything flowing.

I've got some mods planned in the future (adding solar panels & a through-the-wall skimmer) but I hope to keep them. I don't like the standard PVC ball valves for pool use and the Jandy/Pentair valves are nearly $50. The pump/filter came with one Hayward ball valve and I plan to use it underneath the skimmer.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!