Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Forum newbe

1. Back To Top    #1
    Mexico, MO

Forum newbe

New to the forum here.

Just a quick intro --

We were given an Intex 15x48 pool last year, needed a new liner. The neighbor that gave us the pool had all sorts of trouble keeping the water clear, I'm assuming because she kept getting "pool stored". If it wasn't filled with algae, it was cloudy white. A sad chemical soup, and not enough care to try to get it right.

This will be our second year with this pool. Learned about the BBB method from another forum (A few of you here might know which one). Did ok last year, except for what may have been a mustard algae problem for part of the season.

The heater mentioned in my sig is one I put together out of an old BBQ grill and about 100ft of copper tube. Works quite well. 15 - 20deg temp rise inlet to outlet, with a hot wood fire. We'll see how long it lasts.

Seeing several threads here on hard plumbing done on pools similar to mine, I'm thinking that would be the way to go. That will probably happen slowly over this summer, with the purchase of a sand filter next season. I'm not too enthused about the relatively small filter area in the pump/filter. I am open to suggestions on what size sand filter to buy, and will be reading on this forum and others about how to maintain that type of filter.

15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Forum newbe

Welcome, Charlie!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

Welcome aboard
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Flower Mound, TX

Welcome to TFP!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT